Friday, July 17, 2015

Nostalgia, Nature, and... Nnn-Tribute Band

Hey everyone. Today ended up being a pretty awesome day of vacation. After a quick hotel breakfast, my mom and I got to show Michelle around my high school. I've gone into the school a few times since I graduated, although those times usually involved visiting teachers while school was in session. We were able to get to most of the areas where I wanted to go and it looks like some of my accomplishments will be in a trophy case for a while. The weirdest part was definitely realizing that people that I went to high school with are now teachers themselves.

After that, we gave the state park a second shot and really lucked out with the weather today. It was a really fun time and Michelle was a little in awe when she saw just how short the headwaters are. She walked across the rocks separating Lake Itasca from the Mississippi River, and we waded in the water after that. We tried going up to the fire tower to get a birds eye view over the park, but there were many families that weren't paying attention to the "only 6 people in the tower at once" and you could feel the tower shaking as you got closer to the top. We all got to see up over the tree canopy but not quite to the level of the actual fire tower. The walk back to the car was filled with a lot of deer flies so we wrapped up that trip.

Michelle and I vegged in the hotel for a bit and then went to a Beatles tribute band that was awesome! Michelle is a huge Beatles fan and my parents joined us there as well, and everyone really liked it. It was kind of a chronological concert, although the second half was more up in the air, and there was an Ed Sullivan impersonator that acted as emcee throughout the evening. The performers were all very talented and were very good Beatles impressionists. We enjoyed the bits of humor that were thrown in as tributes to the movies or quotes that have stuck through the years.

As a side note, I really like the Beatles. I say this with limited knowledge in music groups, but it seems like so many groups generally are seen in one way. This could include an era, a music genre/type of sound, and an image. The Beatles, on the other hand, changed so much throughout their career and this was reflected throughout the show. Maybe that's one reason why it was kind of odd to have the Ed Sullivan character throughout the entire show. I mean, it worked, but still.

Anyways, I'm definitely falling asleep while writing this, so it's time to rest after another long day. Tomorrow will certainly follow suit, so here's hoping for good weather. Speaking of tomorrow, it will be International Mandela Day and Toss Away the "Could Haves" and "Should Haves" Day.

DFTBA

No comments:

Post a Comment