Sunday, July 5, 2015

Happy 10th birthday, blog!

Hey everyone. So here we are, with this blog turning 10 years old. This certainly feels like a long time, but at the same time, there were months and even years when I just didn't blog. My dashboard informs me that I've published 512 entries, which ends up being around once a week, oddly enough. Now that's a realization I didn't make before typing that sentence out.

Of course, I can't say that this Blogger page is ten years old because I originally started on whatever blogging service matched with my Hotmail address at the time. (In case you're wondering, yes, that email address is still active, but I honestly only use for my Xbox account.) When I made the switch over, I did bring over all of the old entries, which I could still argue back and forth.

On one hand, it can be good to have little time capsules from earlier days, which could include random stories that I would have otherwise forgotten. Case in point, I know one of my first entries included a laundry list of things my sister and I experienced on our road trip to Mackinac Island. On the other hand, I know that some of those entries came from a different place when I was processing moving away from home to get to college. I think I've done a pretty good job self-censoring (especially when sharing stories about other people), but it does feel a little weird knowing that there's a place online where my insecurities are out on display. Then again, with all of the pages that store snapshots of the Internet as an entirety, those blog entries would be out there on the Internet regardless of if I took them down now.

Ten years is quite the long time. I mean, okay duh, it's a decade, but so much has happened between 2005 and now. (I should probably point out that my 10-year high school reunion is next weekend, so this is a continuation to the inner monologue that's been happening because of that.) I do think of the ten years as three stages [college in Minneapolis, working in Missouri, working in Wisconsin], but each year has been filled with highs and lows. I've had amazing people enter into my life, while others that I miss have left in one way or another.

I was going to put a list together of little "memory seeds", aka things that would spark positive memories from throughout the ten years. I really like the idea, but I want to give it the proper time to reflect, so let's weave it into the next Random Tuesday.

Tomorrow will be Earth at Aphelion (proving that the changing seasons aren't directly because of the Earth's distance to the sun) and Take Your Webmaster to Lunch Day.

DFTBA

No comments:

Post a Comment