Tuesday, July 14, 2015

A Year in De Pere

Hey everyone. All of the sudden, another milestone is upon us. It was one year ago that I moved all of my stuff here to Green Bay. Fortunately, my mom (happy birthday!) was able to drive my grandpa's truck that had a whole bunch of stuff, which meant we only needed to make one trip. To be honest, it did take a couple of days to get everyone in the apartment (there's no elevator, after all) and for me to get settled in. So I'm glad tomorrow isn't the one year work anniversary.

I definitely had a lot of conflicting emotions that day. I was excited to start my new position, but I was sad to think that I really was not going back to Missouri in the fall. I was new to the area, but I had my GPS and phone numbers of other Hall Directors ready to go if needed (which was a couple legs up from when I started in Missouri). Overall, I think I was ready to take the next step. Yes, I knew it would be a learning curve and I would feel overwhelmed, but taking this position was the right thing for me to do.

I don't know if 2014 me was expecting current me to be ~10 weeks into a graduate program today. I knew that I wanted to explore grad school and see how to set myself up for another step down the road, but I hadn't really thought about the specifics. I also wasn't expecting to connect with an awesome group of tabletop gamers, so that was a huge plus to this year. I know I haven't done as much with them recently, but it's great to have non-work friends in the area so I can get off campus and disconnect with what's going on here.

Of course, now that it's been a year, I do feel like I've gotten my feet wet in the position. I'm looking forward to next year because I know so much more now. Obviously things will be different, but it won't feel like as big of a mystery.

I know it's Tuesday, which is normally Random Tuesday, but in the sake of time, I'm going to wrap up here. Tomorrow will be a long day, so I need to rest up. Tomorrow will be Be a Dork Day, Gummi Worm Day, and National Pet Fire Safety Day.

DFTBA

No comments:

Post a Comment