Sunday, July 12, 2015

Bing, you are sneaky sneaky

Hey everyone. A couple months ago, I saw a Tumblr post saying that Microsoft had created a rewards system to get people to use Bing. I looked into it and sure enough, there is a Bing Rewards system. Doing searches on Bing gives you points (with different daily limits, of course) that you can use for actual things like restaurant gift cards, subscriptions to Hulu & Xbox Live, and in my case, Amazon gift certificates. Now to be fair, the dollar amounts are pretty low and need a good number of points (starting out, most of the gift cards are around 500 points). On the other hand, I am getting something for basically nothing. Like I saw on the original Tumblr post, Bing accepts any search as valid as long as it's unique for the day. So there are days when I search the alphabet to get my daily allotment.

Anyways, I thought it's a cool program, and yes, there have been times when I'm searching random letters when I think "you know, I did need to look up x" and search that as well. Now once I hit my daily allotment, I go back to using Google and don't fiddle with Bing on my work computer. However, I'll admit that Microsoft's attempt to get me to use Bing has been working a little. If you're feeling adventurous and want to try it out, let me know because there's a referral system which nets in more points.

I just realize that this kind of feels like a big ad for Bing. Well, I didn't do anything really exciting today, so this will have to do. Tomorrow will be National French Fries Day and Embrace Your Geekness Day for real this time. (I misread the date in yesterday's entry.)

DFTBA

No comments:

Post a Comment