Hey everyone. I wouldn't say that I have a good poker face. In fact, I'm sure I have plenty of tells. So I'm not the biggest fan of hidden defector games, especially party games like Mafia where having a good poker face is 60% of the game if you're the mafia. There are some tabletop games where everyone is working together except for one defector, but you are working on missions, so the traitor isn't always the focus. Tonight, I joined up with some gaming people and I learned a new game that would fall into this category: Battlestar Galactica.
I can't say that I've watched much of the show, but I've picked up on little tidbits, including Cylons. Cylons are a robotic civilization that include some robots that look just like humans. One element that I like is that there are sleeper agents who don't realize that they are Cylon until they just switch on one day. It's not only an easy way to fix loose ends, but also an interesting narrative choice.
Anyway, the Battlestar Galactica game includes hidden identity to see if people are Cylon or not. With it being my first game, I was hoping to be human... but then I was Cylon right out of the gate. Overall, I think I did pretty well and played how a human character would for most of the game. Once it got close to the end and I saw the prospect of victory, I could feel my heart pick up. I'm not sure how much was outwardly visible, but I'm sure that if I was playing with people I've known for years, I would have been called out pretty quickly.
I did end up winning since it worked out that I could decide where the ship would travel to and I just happened to pick a route where we would run out of fuel before getting to Earth. Oops. :P One of the other players was getting suspicious towards the end, but he didn't act on it at all. So like I said, I'm not the biggest fan of these types of games, but it worked since the only goal wasn't "sniff out the Cylons".
Tomorrow will be Simplicity Day and Embrace Your Geekness Day. I sense good things for my Sunday. :)
DFTBA
Saturday, July 11, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment