Hey everyone. Happy Fourth of July!... kinda. Obviously it's not quite the fourth, but because the actual holiday falls on a weekend, we got today off. So, like I said yesterday, hooray for three-day weekends!
The cookout with the students went really well this evening. Our previous cookout was in the first few weeks of the summer, and we basically replicated all of the same setup & system, so it just clicked. Plus, I didn't go completely over-the-top with all of the food purchases! I don't know if I commented on it when it happened last time, but we had so much extra food. Okay, I did have to purchase some stuff today, but I certainly didn't have to worry about condiments or hot dogs that contain pork. (We have a number of students who are observing Ramadan, so we made sure to have some burgers & all-beef hot dogs set aside for them to enjoy after sundown.)
We had cornhole like last time, but I remembered to bring out the bocce ball set. I was surprised to hear how many students hadn't played it before, including some of the RAs. Plus, it was wonderful weather, so all in all, a good cookout.
I did also take part of today to finally get caught up on a video game series, but I think I'll just wait until tomorrow to go into that more. Speaking of tomorrow, in addition to Independence Day, it will also be Boom Box Parade Day, Hop a Park Day, and International Cherry Pit Spitting Day, which all fit into cookouts and outdoor festivities. It's also Indivisible Day, which was a state holiday (for Minnesota actually) that recognized the importance of the separation of church and state. I think this holiday happening tomorrow makes sense as well since we should act as "one nation indivisible" in all ways possible... even if that doesn't happen in actuality. Wow, I don't want to end on a downer. When I put the summer schedule together, I dubbed tomorrow "BBQ & Explosions Day" so hooray for fireworks!
DFTBA
Friday, July 3, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment