Hey everyone. I'll admit that I'm not 100% behind the notion that everyone should be striving to walk 10,000 steps each day, but physical activity as simple as walking is very important. This is especially true if your job requires some aspect of sitting at a desk, in a vehicle, or at a table. Saying that every person should walk 10,000 steps in a day doesn't feel quite right, but it's an easy number to remember.
I think the important thing is trying to find ways to incorporate physical into your daily routine. Walking is obviously the easiest choice because walking can happen pretty much anywhere without any sort of equipment. Then there are the ideas to get more steps like "take the stairs instead of the elevator" and "park in the back of the parking lot", which aren't going to be a lot extra, but it starts adding up over time.
So far, I have found that I'm motivated to walk more based on the game on my phone (which I've talked about in a previous blog). Usually, this means an extra lap of campus, but I've also explored some of the surrounding area. One night, I tracked my general route via Google Maps and figured that I walked 2-2.5 miles that evening, which I definitely wouldn't have done on my own.
Maybe I mentioned this before, but the game (& by extension, walking more) has helped me see more of the surrounding area. I'll admit that I don't know much outside of campus after being here for a year. Today for example, I explored more on the east side of the river including a few statues scattered around, a community museum, and a time capsule. Unfortunately, the museum isn't open on the weekends, but I may not have really noticed its existence as a white blur through my car window.
Of course, I'm in the middle of the boot camp program at work, which hasn't bested me yet. Part of me is motivated since I paid for the course, and part of me wants to show the instructor that I can do. Plus, having colleagues in the program helps.
I guess what I'm saying is that we all need to find what motivates us to exercise. It may be competition, distraction, or camaraderie, but it's going to be different for everyone, just like how much exercise everyone needs. Naturally, there will be obstacles like, I don't know, an impending Wisconsin winter, so hopefully we can find the motivation to push through the tough times.
Alright, I need to get some rest so I can get up early and finish a grad school paper (well, a portion of it). Tomorrow will be Improve Your Office Day (despite being a Sunday), National Ship in a Bottle Day, and National Taco Day!
DFTBA
Saturday, October 3, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment