Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Random Tuesday: Advice for First-Year Students

Hey everyone. Over the past week or so, I've been meeting with students in my First Year Experience group to gauge how each of them is doing with the transition from high school to college. It's weird to think that November is next week and that the halfway point of the semester was a couple weeks ago. Anyway, part of the meeting includes me answering any oddball questions the students have and trying to provide some advice.

So, along those lines, I came up with an idea for today's Random Tuesday blog: Advice that I feel is relevant for first-year students to know! In keeping with the nature of Random Tuesday, I'm going to have a random word generator give me some words (hopefully at least one for each letter of the alphabet) and then I'll put together some advice.

I do realize that this advice probably won't get to that many first-year students, but maybe I can tap on this list later on at some point. Oh, and there will probably be instances where I use the word as a jumping off point for something different, so be warned. Anyway, here goes!

A - With living on your own, it can be easy to become ADDICTED to things like video games or various substances, but the key is to keep all things in moderation.

B - If you get a bad grade on a test or paper, just remember that you may have lost a BATTLE, but you should press on to win the war.

C - (Our FYE meeting today was about diversity, so this seems very relevant.) Diversity is more than just the COLOR of someone's skin or the language they speak.

D - If you are DISGUSTED by something your roommate does, talk to him/her about it face-to-face rather than posting something on social media.

E - Try to develop a variety of skills, because you never know when you will need to EMPLOY a skill in a new situation.

F - Internships and summer jobs can be a great way to get your FOOT in the door in a field you are passionate about.

G - I GUARANTEE that there are campus resources to help you through any difficult situation. No one is a mind reader though, so you will need to be willing to ask for help.

H - College is a time where a lot is going on: more rigorous classes, living on your own, figuring out your identity, etc. Just remember that even in the difficult times, it's something you can HANDLE.

I - You may end up doing or saying something that will IRRITATE someone else without you realizing. Be open to understanding their perspective and help find a place of agreement.

J - Learn to cook a few different dishes. Peanut butter and JELLY can get old fast.

K - Talk to your professors outside of class. They are very KNOWLEDGEABLE in their field, succeeding in their class, and starting a career.

L - It's not in your best interest to be LACKADAISICAL about classwork. Putting effort into your work will help you retain information and your professors will see that you are serious about your studies.

M - Whether it's a residence hall or apartment, don't wait until the night before you MOVE to start packing your belongings.

N - Be open to NEW experiences and taking full advantage of the opportunities you will get as a college student.

O - Even if a situation seems OUTRAGEOUS, try to approach it in a calm and collected manner. Others will be more willing to help out, rather than getting defensive.

P - Check your campus mailbox often so a PARCEL isn't sitting dormant for weeks. (There may be treats getting stale. Also, I'm guessing the people who coded the random word generator are British because in addition to giving me parcel, it gave me colour.)

Q - Try to find out when places like the cafeteria and important offices aren't busy, so you don't spend a lot of time in a QUEUE. (Yeah, definitely British.)

R - Start your homework with plenty of time to spare and avoid a big RUSH before the deadline.

S - Don't ignore a billing STATEMENT from the financial aid office. It's common practice to keep you from registering for classes if you have unpaid charges on your student account.

T - During a test, your professor may try to throw in an unexpected TWIST. You should be able to turn this problem into a variation of something you've done in class or in the homework already.

U - If you're part of a crowd that is getting UNRULY, it's okay to leave before something bad would happen.

V - You need to take time for yourself, rather than only relying on times like Christmas VACATION and Spring Break. Pushing yourself to the limit for too long is not beneficial to anyone.

W - Learn how to become WELL-GROOMED as a head-start to a professional setting, but also for events like formal dinners and weddings.

X - Go to the doctor if you're sick because something like a mono test or X-RAY can help you figure out what's wrong. (I legitimately ran the random word generator enough times for it to prompt me with x-ray.)

Y - Some professors may be upset if they see you YAWN in class. Make sure to be well-rested, even for those 8am classes.

Z -  Honestly, college will ZIP by, so make the most of the time you have.



Now, before I get snarky comments, I know that there are a couple things that are hypocritical for me to talk about, like learning how to cook and properly packing before moving. I know I am lacking in certain areas, but I think that can still be a source of advice to others (especially if they don't know you're still struggling in certain ways).

I'm glad I'm writing this early so I'm not struggling to keep awake. Tomorrow will be National Chocolate Day. Yum!

DFTBA

No comments:

Post a Comment