Friday, October 16, 2015

Various Footprints

Hey everyone. There are nights where I want to blog about a random topic and go to town with my thoughts, but I'm limited in my time. Tonight is the perfect example - I have a good topic and I'm already feeling sleepy. So, I'll at least ramble a little bit and then maybe come back to it on a later date.

People use the phrase "carbon footprint" to think about how their lifestyle impacts the earth with things like trash or emissions. However, I think we're all products of many footprints, not just a carbon one. A scar may be a physical footprint, a regret may be an emotional footprint, and a bit of trivia knowledge may be an intellectual footprint.

However, in addition to people having these footprints, the world around us is sort of the same way. In my building, some hallway carpet is riddled with stains and there are little imperfections here and there. When I moved into my apartment, there were leftover little plastic pieces where a previous tenant had kept a TV cable secure. I know when I move out, there will be some scratch marks on a door where I hang a battery-operated lantern. Outside, there are footpaths beaten into the dirt where the ground is turned into a trough.

Part of this whole thought came from walking to my car and seeing a bit of a metal pipe sticking out of the ground. The pipe has been there since I can remember but doesn't seem to have any purpose. The pipe only comes out a couple of inches from the ground and dirt has been stuffed in the middle. After being here a year, I've yet to see it being used for anything, yet it's still a footprint of an earlier time when it was utilized.

Alright, I would love to carry on, but I need some sleep. I met up with some gamers tonight who started a 24-hour gaming marathon, so I'll head back to that tomorrow. Speaking of tomorrow, it will also be National Pasta Day, Wear Something Gaudy Day, and Sweetest Day.

DFTBA

No comments:

Post a Comment