Friday, October 30, 2015

Let's bring back some random questions!

Hey everyone. After doing strings of various questions for a few weeks of Random Tuesdays/Wednesdays, it kind of felt weird not to do it this week. So I'm going to change that and do some random questions tonight. Now, I've still been drawing from the same website for a month or two so I'm trying to avoid questions that I clearly remember answering before. However, I know I'm not perfect with things like that, so hopefully not too many have been slipping through. Anyway, let's begin.

What would be the easiest foreign country for you to make a living in?
- Canada. I could live in Winnipeg, so I wouldn't be that far away from friends and family, and it's even in the same time zone. Plus I wouldn't need to learn another language since I wouldn't be in Quebec. What I would do... is a good question.

If you where to go "back to the basics" what would that mean?
- My first thought would be cutting back on social media/sites I frequent. The basics would still include YouTube, Facebook, and email, but that would probably email not using Tumblr, Twitter, Snapchat, or some Internet-based games/game sites.

When have you had too much of a good thing?
- I mean, the simplest example is getting stomachache from too many sweets. I would say that that only happened when I was a kid, but then I would be telling a lie.

When was the last time you felt like you had enough sleep?
- Last Saturday night since I had no obligations from work or grad school that evening & the next day.

Where is the scarcest place you have ever traveled to?
- As a kid, I would go out with my dad metal detecting, which included some bigger endeavors. There was one trip where we went onto this stretch of land which was either a peninsula or an island depending on how much it had rained. Supposedly, a man lived in a little cabin on that land and buried a bunch of silver coins in a kettle there. Despite the fervent search, we didn't find it.

When was a magical moment in your life?
- Ooh, I have a good one from college. Each fall, a large number of music ensembles would collectively put on a collage concert. The different groups would just perform a piece or two but the grand finale included all of the choirs and at least one of the orchestras. Over the years, we alternated between "Make Our Garden Grow" from Candide and "Finlandia" by Jean Sibelius and honestly, the moment after the finale each year was a magical moment. If I had to pick one, I would say my junior year since it was the second time I had performed the finale from Candide. Here's a recording of the piece (not from our concert but still, you should listen to it): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgXMxhMhYm4

What is the worst air travel experience you have ever had?
- Oh, this is an easy one. I won't go through the whole endeavor (especially since I may have blogged about it before), but after visiting Michelle for the first time, I had a terrible experience. The first leg of the trip was fine, but then I was delayed in Cleveland for a couple hours before the flight was outright cancelled. There were no alternate flights and we were basically told to figure it out ourselves. After dashing ahead to a ticket booth in another terminal, the "best" plan was to have me fly through Houston as a layover from Cleveland to Kansas City. The Cleveland-Houston flight had various delays before taking off and they couldn't get the jet bridge to properly connect after landing. So I ended up missing my intended Houston-KC flight by a few minutes and got added to the last flight of the day. Fortunately, I was able to get bumped up a couple hours and that final flight had no problems, but it was an extra 12 hours to the transit, which included missing a full day of work. Okay, so I'll take back my comment about not going through the whole thing because that was all the big moments.

When was the last time you were pleasantly surprised by a large corporation?
- I can't think of any good examples for that one, but I'm trying to think of it in the context of a corporation interacting with me as an individual. So there are probably some times I've been surprised by a corporation making an unexpected change/announcement, but I can't think of a good example there either.

When was the last anti-climatic moment you have experience.
- The Monday before last, I was playing a game with some friends that involved some characters who were hidden and others (including mine) who were chasing those characters down. It was the last turn and one of the hidden characters had one health point left. It was up to me to roll a successful hit to win my team the game (I think it was a 50/50 chance) and I whiffed it.

What song typifies the 80's?
- "Don't Stop Believin'" by Journey, although there are so many honorable mentions. "Living on a Prayer", "Time of My Life", "Beat It".... not to mention the oodles of songs on Guitar Hero & Rock Band games.

What song typifies the 60's?
- It's going to be tough to sum up a decade in a song, but I'll say "Twist and Shout" by the Beatles.

What song typifies the 70's?
- "Stayin' Alive" by the Bee Gees and "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen. I couldn't make the call between disco and rock, but I liked that the site I'm using for ideas included a few songs from Grease (specifically under the "Summer Songs" section).

What song motivates you when you are exercising?
- If I'm using my own playlist, it would be a lot of show choir songs from high school. If it has to be more recent, "Uptown Funk" by Bruno Mars.

What song do you listen to when you are feeling sorry for your self?
- "Adagio for Strings" by Samuel Barber. It's an orchestral piece that can be a big emotional punch in the gut.

What TV Show fires your imagination?
- I need to go back and watch it again, but Warehouse 13.

What TV show is the best to vegg out to?
- Whose Line Is It Anyway? or something on the Food Network.

What children's TV Show is the hardest to watch?
- I feel a little embarrassed that I spent time trying to Google its name, but I'm definitely going with Boohbah. It's been on when I've visited people with infants and it's the one with a bunch of colored bulb creatures that make weird noises. It falls into the category of "Why is this a TV show?".

What environmental message do you disagree with?
- I can't say that there's an issue where I would completely disagree with environmentalists. There are definitely some issues where I don't understand everything that goes into the situation, but like I said, there's nothing I openly oppose.

What environmental cause do you feel strongly about?
- Reducing the impact each of us makes on the environment.

How has your "green" behavior changed over the last 10 years?
- I think the biggest change between 2005 me and 2015 me is general awareness when it comes to environmentalism. Unfortunately, I can't say that I've improved by leaps and bounds. There are good and bad things that I did back then that I do now.

What food is the most fun to eat?
- You know, it's been a while since I've thought of the specific act of eating as a fun activity. Sure, it's enjoyable to socialize while eating and even cooking is fun, but eating food is enjoyable rather than fun. I don't know, it's feels like it's a weird distinction in my head. One thing that makes food kind of fun to eat is having a variety of textures. The best example is a fruit & granola parfait because there's the creaminess of the yogurt, the juiciness of the fruit, and the crunch of the granola. So let's go with that.

What food is too much work for you to eat?
- I am not a fan of meat that's on the bone, with the most frequent flier (pun intended) being fried chicken. I'll make it work if I have to, but I'm not a fan of having to bite around bone and have fragments end up in a mouthful of food by accident.

What was the last thing you got for free?
- Well apparently a candy vendor brought free samples to the main housing office that was enough for all the RAs to give a package of candy to every resident. I was divvied 16 boxes that had a total of 192 boxes but since there are closer to 185 residents in the building, I got to keep the leftovers.

Do you still like to play with your food?
- It's probably evident from my answer three questions ago, but no, not really.


 Well that was nice to go back to random questions again. Tonight hasn't been too bad in terms of Halloween/Homecoming Weekend shenanigans, but the night is young I suppose. I'm definitely knocking on wood while typing this though, just to help out.

Tomorrow will be Halloween (duh), which also means National Caramel Apple Day, National Magic Day, National Forgiveness Day, and Girl Scout Founder's Day.

DFTBA

No comments:

Post a Comment