Hey everyone. I'm not sure why it's popping up now, but I feel like I'm hitting a wall when it comes to blog topics. I mean, I do think there's a few variables in play.
- I want the blog to be interesting and worthwhile to read.
- I don't want to overshare, especially something that will come back to bite me since things live on the Internet pretty much forever.
- I want to have fun writing about it.
- There are times when I don't remember if I've blogged about a topic or only thought about blogging it.
Don't forget a very relevant factor...
- It's late, so I don't want to spend too much time on an entry and stay up incredibly late in the process.
Now, I know what you're saying and I agree. Writing the blog entries earlier would at least help with the last bullet. It will involve breaking some habits, but there's definitely value to writing after work or at least earlier in the evening. It's the other factors that I'm not so sure about.
I think the biggest thing I want to avoid is monotony. If the blog is just the same thing day after day, it gets boring to write and boring to read. This is especially true if I'm blogging about a fairly uneventful day, and it's one of the reasons why Random Tuesdays are still a thing. Even though Tuesdays are typically one of my busier days of the semester (well, Wednesdays this semester) and Random Tuesday blogs can take longer to write, I still do them because I'm ready for a change of pace and don't want the blog to be a rehash of work once a week.
On the other hand, monotony can be viewed as an abundance of an otherwise good thing: consistency. So much of my previous position was adapting to the uniqueness of the day. There were a few consistent parts of the schedule (mainly Tuesday stuff), but not much stayed the same from week to week. This included things like work shifts, nightly responsibilities, and even which days I was working or not. That was definitely one of the reasons why I was ready to look to my next calling my final year there.
Fortunately, I've found some consistency that I enjoy here. My work schedule has a more rigid framework between work time, meetings, and non-work time. The gaming group has some pretty consistent weekly gaming outings, especially now that it's getting colder. All in all, I enjoy consistency here because it can give me something to look forward to.
So going back to the blog, I like the consistency to writing it on a daily basis, but talking about work all the time or really short, minor entries seem to lean towards monotony. Clearly, I'm talking in circles because we seem to be back where we started, but it at least felt like something new.
Alright, time to get some sleep. Tomorrow will be World Day for Audiovisual Heritage and Cranky Co-Workers Day? Oh boy.
DFTBA
Monday, October 26, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment