Another beautiful day today meant another outdoor adventure for Michelle and me. This time, we went to Door County, which is the part of Wisconsin that jets into Lake Michigan while surrounded by Michigan on both sides. The area prides itself as being a vacation spot with parks/camping/hiking for some, quaint shops/B&B's/scenic drives for others (or potentially the same some) and it was a really fun experience.
We ended up spending most of our time in Fish Creek, which is one of the small unincorporated towns scattered along the peninsula. While there, we went to a local cafe (Julie's Park Cafe & Motel, which was the top rated restaurant with the best Door County feel), walked around a lot of little shops, and went to a couple different wineries. In addition to grapes and apples (many of both are used at the wineries), Door County produces a vast number of cherries, which were a part of pretty much everything. My lunch included cherry juice and whenever we would try wine, olive oils, dips, preserves, etc., at least some of the samples would include cherry. (I did end up getting some cherry honey mustard chip dip that is very delicious.)
I really liked today because we were able to drive up to Door County and spend pretty much all day on our own schedule. I did need to do some grad school stuff here, but during the daytime, we could stroll around town and pop into any shops that seemed interesting. When it felt like time to leave Fish Creek, we got on the road and both agreed to stop at any shops that piqued our interest. Our road trip to Maryville to Cleveland last summer was very much on a timeline based on our lodging arrangements, so I'm glad today could be more on our schedule. (Of course, it helped that today was a day trip while last summer was a couple weeks' long endeavor span four states.)
I'm glad that tomorrow is Sunday since it's another day of rest (and day 3 of the 4-day weekend, what with Memorial Day), but I'm sad that Michelle has to go. I'm really looking forward to the day where we were live in the same metro and we can see each more frequently for spontaneous dinners, rather than planning out weekends months in advance. It'll be at least another year until that happens, so at this point, it's simply making due. With that said, I should enjoy the last time that Michelle is here instead of blogging.
Well, it looks like tomorrow is the Indianapolis 500, International Tiara Day, and Morse Code Day. It's also Brother's Day, so hopefully I can work on being a good brother as well.
DFTBA
Saturday, May 23, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment