Monday, September 7, 2015

Lazy Weekend, but a Class is Brewing

Hey everyone. Well, this weekend ended up being a full-fledged lazy weekend. There's definitely nothing wrong with taking personal time, but I was hoping to do a few more things around the apartment. My week will feel particularly short because of Labor Day at the beginning and Michelle visiting at the end, so I do want to make the next couple of days count.

Now, since my class does start tomorrow, I think I did want to make this weekend relaxed to gear up for the next eight weeks. The class will be Leadership in Higher Education, which feels like a mixture of some ambiguity and a focus on a skill that I'm very apprehensive about. Similar to Student Development Theory, I do hope that this class will break down the imposing perception of leadership skills and show me that I'm already on the right track. I'm a little nervous with balancing the class with being in the academic year, because let's be honest, the summer was quite relaxed in a variety of ways. I don't want to say that I would have wanted to only take classes in the summer (since that would make my endeavor three times as long), but I'm a little apprehensive.

On the fun side of today, I had some student staff over and we busted out the Nintendo 64 for some old-fashioned Mario Party. Some of the staff had played later iterations of the Mario Party games, but a lot of it was new territory for all of them. I definitely enjoyed going back through the old mini-games, even if my memory was a little fuzzy and I started to have phantom pains in my left palm once I got to the start menu. (A lot of the mini-games involve rotating the control stick rapidly and it was a pretty common thing for kids to use their palm and get it all red & sore.) Honestly, everyone had a really fun time and I hope we can find more gaming time in the future. Even though not everyone on staff showed up, it was still a great time to bond with some of the students.

 Alright, tomorrow marks getting back to the grindstone, so I need some rest. Tomorrow will be International Literacy Day & World Physical Therapy Day.

DFTBA

No comments:

Post a Comment