Hey everyone. I really enjoy being in an environment where there's a great leader at the helm. Today was the president's yearly address to all faculty and staff and I was reminded of all of the great things he's been making possible. (Not to mention that he's a great public speaker.) We heard about initiatives like the new MBA program, partnerships like the Medical College of Wisconsin, and on-campus projects like finishing the new science building. There was also talk of future initiatives, partnerships, and on-campus projects, but I'm not sure how much of that I should share.
Anyway, towards the end, the president made the announcement that he would be transitioning out of the role in May 2017. It was clear that faculty/staff as well as the Board of Trustees were sad to hear the news, but he's also making the decision for admirable reasons. The president expressed his hope that the next president is grounded in the 21st century and helps keep the blood of the college young and flowing.
As I sat in the auditorium, I thought about ways that I'm starting to step up into a leadership role. Yes, some of the ways are pretty small, but I think it's giving me experience. Leadership experience is definitely good, because I still feel completely under-qualified to take on a full-fledged leadership/director role. I mean, yes, I would like to be in an environment where I can move up the ladder and gain a new perspective at a campus, but I don't feel like I could fill the shoes left behind by my previous supervisors, deans, directors, presidents, etc.
Fortunately, this isn't a dilemma I have to take head-on right now, but it is something to consider. I should definitely find more ways to get involved and take on responsibility throughout campus. I can't see myself as a president of a university, but I should be prepared for the next step, whatever that may be.
Alright, Friday is quickly approaching and with that, three-day weekend! Whoo! Tomorrow will be National College Colors Day and Bring Your Manners to Work Day. Combine that with Casual Friday in general and you know I'll be rocking green tomorrow.
DFTBA
Thursday, September 3, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment