Thursday, September 24, 2015

Alternate Reality Game

Hey everyone. So, I recently discovered this alternate reality game that's a mix between geocaching and Risk. It uses the GPS feature on your phone and so you have to go out into the world to play. I won't go into the full explanation, but there are two factions, and both factions are trying to control portals in order to link them together and control the world. Portals are based on real-world locations, including statues, works of art, libraries, churches, and water towers. Our campus has many historical areas and notable buildings, so there are around 30 portals on campus alone.

The game is played across the world and areas can quickly fluctuate between the two factions from day to day or hour to hour. For the first couple days, there didn't seem to be much activity on campus, so I quickly expanded as I was learning the ropes. More recently, there have been a few high-level players that can walk through and rip up my meager defenses. Sure, there are high-level players on my side that can help, but it seems like I'm the only one on or near campus. At this point, I'm a little frustrated that the faction control can change so quickly. Fortunately, the game is designed so building up is more beneficial than destroying. Plus, the high-level players on the other faction could completely hit up every place on campus and put up really tough defenses. They could, but they haven't. Whether it is being nice for the sake of allowing back-and-forth gameplay or if the other players ran out of weapons I won't know, but it's at least something.

Now obviously it's just a game, so whatever happens is ultimately pretty inconsequential. Having this type of game set in the real world using Google Maps & actual GPS data does run the risk of players getting territorial. This is especially true if players live close to in-game locations, and I'd be lying if I said that I didn't have an initial 'punched in the gut' feeling the first time a group went through and laid wasted to my work. I have connected with a group of players in my faction and I do hope to get some more experience so that I can have a bigger influence on the game world. Plus it doesn't hurt to meet more people in the area who are into gaming. Also, since the game focuses on real-world locations, I have made it a part to walk around campus much more often than before. The game doesn't track individual steps, but it does look at overall distance walked, and like I said, it's actually getting me to walk around more often. Over the course of today, I was probably up on my feet for upwards of two hours more than just getting between my hall, main office, cafeteria, & friend's apartment. So that's definitely a good thing.

So yeah, I think me playing this game in the long term will depend on the social aspect and getting connected with my teammates. I'm putting feelers out there to see if there are people on campus that might be interested. The two factions have different moral grounds and I'll admit that my choice of faction doesn't fully align with my own morals. Then again, that's why it's a game and I can role-play as someone with somewhat different reasoning. Although I can't exactly say my own morals are 100% towards the other team, because the core conflict feels like progress vs. freedom. You can't just pick one and completely run the other into the ground.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling about this game. I know it seems silly and pointless, but it adds some excitement to walking across campus. I just hope there's a balance between nearby enemies and friends so I feel like I have a fighting chance.

Tomorrow will be Math Story Telling Day, National One-Hit Wonder Day, and Hug a Vegetarian Day.

DFTBA

No comments:

Post a Comment