Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Making the Blog a Storybook

There are days when I ask myself "Why do you blog and do some of your entries recount old stories?" It's a question worth exploring. I know that there are a small collection of people who read this blog and while it would be nice to have more people in the conversation, I'm also okay with the confidence that the people who are reading my blog are friends and family, rather than strangers. With that said, some of the stories are probably familiar to at least some of you. So, why share random stories?

Well, for one, it helps keep blogging fun. If I only blogged about my daily routine, I'd be bored pretty quickly. If I focused on current events and taking a stand on topical issues, I'd feel like the blog would be this big responsibility since I would need to plan and prep each entry well ahead of time. So, telling stories is a nice way to spice things up. Plus, even though some of you know plenty of stories, I don't know if you know all of the stories.

Another thing that pops to mind is that by blogging, I'm helping keep the story alive. I know people who have sat down with a grandparent with a tape recorder and just listened to stories on end. That way, when the grandparent couldn't tell the story for one way or another, it was able to live on and not be forgotten. I know there's a VHS tape at my parents' house that is of my great-grandmother sharing her childhood experience in a covered wagon.

At this point, it's hard to remember what things I've shared here before, in terms of stories. There are probably events I talked about in an entry back in 2010 but don't remember writing about. Plus, it can be hard to determine what stories are worthwhile to blog about and still be interesting to read down the road. Part of me feels like I could record myself telling stories for a while, even though I haven't gone through some of those big mile markers of life.

So for now, I'll continue to make this blog a storybook some days. Hopefully the stories aren't too boring by not knowing the other people involved. Even still, I think the stories could help provide some insight into who I am and where I come from.

Today is Awkward Moments Day. There are definitely some stories of awkward moments, but I'll keep those to myself tonight. Suffice it to say, I was not immune to the high school awkward in many instances.

DFTBA

No comments:

Post a Comment