Sunday, March 15, 2015

Busting Brain Crack

Back in 2006, Ze Frank, one of the first people to make vlogging a thing, came up with the phrase "brain crack". I definitely wasn't actively following anybody on YouTube back at that point, but I've learned of the phrase vicariously from vloggers who followed Ze Frank. So, brain crack is when you come up with this neat idea and you keep on planning it out in your head until it's this perfect thing... which then never comes to be. I think we've all had those awesome ideas that for one reason or another don't go anywhere beyond a mental exercise.

The reason Ze Frank brought this up is that brain crack can be combated by simply trying out that idea. Doing something for the first time is probably going to result in you falling flat, but it's better to have that experience compared to just thinking about "all of the applause". Next time, you'll be better off from experience and more likely to try the idea rather than just sit on it.

I'm bringing this up because I had some brain crack that I decided to just try out. Scattergories was my favorite game to play when I visited my grandparents' cabin growing up. It was challenging but changing, and gave structure but also room for creativity. I do wish I could have written down some of my "especially creative" answers just to see how ridiculous they were. So, I would want to play Scattergories more, but that usually requires at least a handful of people in one place.

Well, my idea would be using Facebook to play Scattergories with people while being in different cities. It does change the nature of the game since it takes away the panic, but it still seemed like this good idea. I ended up playing games with people here on Friday and Saturday, and decided "let's just see what interest there is in online Scattergories and I'll go from there". So, I posted an inquiry on Facebook and I was happy to see a dozen names pop up of interested players.

Obviously, this is a little thing for entertainment, but I still think it'll be better to try this idea out rather than sit on it forever. The Adventures of han photo project could have also been brain crack, but I quickly made that into a thing, which is also well-liked. On a more serious note, I think actually getting my grad school application in was busting some brain crack as well. I know I'm not the idea hoarder I was in high school, but it's also a process.

Today is True Confessions Day, and so I'll confess that I feel like I am terrible with conclusions. (See: the blog up until this line.) I'll also confess that I'm up too late - again - and that I should get to bed since the morning will come quickly. I am looking forward to working on various projects since it's Spring Break, but that still requires me to be well-rested. So, here goes.

DFTBA

No comments:

Post a Comment