This is one of those times when I sit down to write the blog and have this interesting topic... but I look at the clock and realize I should be in bed within the half-hour, so I wouldn't give the topic proper time to develop. Maybe I can do the blogs a little earlier next week.
As I'm pretty sure I've said before, the last day of classes before Spring Break is tomorrow, so I'm sure students have already started to leave campus. I bet most of the first-year students stick around for whatever classes didn't get cancelled, but I've been told that campus really empties out.
Since I will not be taking vacation time for most of Spring Break, I will need to find ways to keep myself motivated. I know a lot of campus staff (including my co-workers) take vacation time, but at the same time, that means that I can tackle projects without worrying about as many distractions. I honestly don't have a lot on my immediate To Do list, but there are definitely things I could sink some time into. Plus, I can blast music and not worry about students walking by my office as frequently. I've been antsy for break the past day or so, but in a way, I'm looking forward to it even though I'll still be working for the first half.
It'll be really weird if I get a job outside of the academic world, since I would lose the natural order to the year. This job has been a nice step up compared to the Academy, because even though I'm on a 12-month contract, the school still has those breaks where it's easy to find time to get away. Plus, accruing vacation. It feels like a lot of jobs outside of schools don't have as predictable of a yearly flow. Sure, there are holidays like Christmas and the natural progression of the seasons, but otherwise things could be very fluid. I don't know if I'm making sense to others, but while working in higher education, we have a good idea what to expect based on where we are in the year. Homesickness, roommate conflicts, fledgling relationships, they all have ebbs and flows that find a place in the academic calendar... in a way.
So, if I had more time, I'd really lay out what I was saying above, but hopefully it makes some sense. All in all, everyone on campus needs a break, so it's fortunate that Spring Break is literally less than 24 hours away.
Today is Girl Scout Birthday Day! Go celebrate by enjoying some classic Thin Mints or Peanut Butter Patties... or whatever the other names for them are if you're in the other selling section...
DFTBA
Thursday, March 12, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment