Saturday, February 21, 2015

Reliving First Experiences

When I'm bored and on my phone, I frequently go to 9gag to pass the time. It's a humor site with a lot of pictures and .gifs about a wide variety of topics and from a wide variety of people. This morning, this image popped up:


The characters in the picture are protagonists from a lot of well-known video games, including a number that I have played. I spent a few minutes thinking over my response, and in typical me fashion, I couldn't narrow it down to just one answer. However, I thought it might be interesting to expand it beyond video games as well. So!

(Note: Before we begin, I've had great pieces of entertainment spoiled for me before I've enjoyed them myself. Feel free to debate otherwise, but my interpretation of the question is that it's reliving my first time experiencing something, but not erasing any knowledge of that thing before that. So, if I knew the ending before I watched a movie, I'd still be spoiled in this question. However, I might have an Honorable Mention if there's something I really wish I would go back and experience for the first time *and* with no previous knowledge on plot twists, character development, etc.)

If you could experience a _______ for the first time again, what ______ would it be?
(Just to play it safe, SPOILER ALERT)

Video Game:

1. Portal 2. I don't remember when exactly I played the first Portal game, but it was definitely an enjoyable puzzle platformer. When I found out a sequel was being made and that it would be longer than Portal & with more characters and gadgets, I was really excited. I saw the promotional material, including the potato ARG leading up to Portal 2's release, but I made sure not to read into the story until I played it myself. I'm really glad that I played the game without any sort of spoiling, because it was hilarious, challenging, and the end made my jaw drop.

2. Assassin's Creed 2. I had heard about the Assassin's Creed series while it was coming out, but it didn't really spark my interest since it was being published for game systems that I didn't own. After Michelle and I started dating, she really encouraged me to look into the series, since it is on her list of favorite video games. By that point, I had some plot points of AC3 spoiled, but playing Assassin's Creed 2 just clicked with me and I ate up every morsel the game gave me.

3. Super Mario 64. This game holds a place in my gamer heart because the first game console my sister and I had at home was a Nintendo 64 and Super Mario 64 was the first game. This game definitely sparked my interest with gaming with 3D environments and jumping between multiple worlds (so it's still kind of linear, but not fully)... even if the giant eel in Jolly Roger Bay freaked me out.

4. Pokemon Gold. I remember when the first Pokemon games came out and some of my friends went nuts. They would talk about it all the time and since they had cable, they were also watching the cartoon, and buying the trading cards. I don't fully remember if our middle school banned Pokemon cards, but I'm sure they were aware of the phenomenon. It wasn't until the second generation of Pokemon that I played through a main series game, and I came to understand the hype. The best of part of battling other trainers was seeing your diverse team counter the opponents and have the advantage over each type (water over fire, ground over electric, grass over rock, etc.)

Honorable Mention: Bioshock


Movie:

1. Star Wars (Episode IV: A New Hope). There's no way around it, I love Star Wars. The first time I heard of the series was seeing the 20th anniversary of A New Hope in theaters. From that moment, I was hooked. I remember having the gold VHS tape set and watching them on the weekends. Not to mention the action figures, video games, Lego sets, and even the set of choose-your-own-adventure/RPG books I had a subscription to... Anyway, one movie started it all, and I'd love to feel that spark ignite again.

2. Cannibal: The Musical. A little unconventional choice, but I first learned of it in college and got caught up in the campy songs and quirky humor surrounding the tale of a mining expedition heading west. The movie was made by the "South Park guys" before they made South Park and it shows. I enjoy that movie is generally lighthearted and almost family friendly... outside of the depictions of cannibalism.

3. The Muppets Take Manhattan. I was a little too young for The Muppet Show, so my knowledge of the Muppets as a kid came from their movies. Well, the movies and a lot of Sesame Street. Anyway, the first three Muppet movies were part of my movie selection as a kid, with The Muppets Take Manhattan standing out above the other two. Why? I can't exactly. Maybe the music, or maybe the most upbeat happy ending. The Muppet Christmas Carol is one of my dad's favorite Christmas movies, and I've started to introduce Michelle to the Muppets, since her first experience was when we saw Muppets Most Wanted.

4. Toy Story 3. First, I'd like to say that I was considering splitting this spot between Toy Story 3, Up, and Wall-E. I remember seeing all three of these Pixar movies in theaters and being enthralled by the story and characters. Of course, all three of these movies have excitement and jubilation, but also moments of true distress and sadness. Now, I really enjoyed the budding relationship between Wall-E and Eve, and Up showed me just how quickly you can convey sadness (and without any dialogue), but Toy Story 3 is in the spot because it was a series I grew up with and some of the final experiences were just gut-wrenching (in a good way? I mean... I'm not crying, you're crying! Actually we're both crying).

Honorable Mention: Fight Club


Musical:

1. Les Miserables. The only thing I would change about that first experience would be focusing less about the girl I was on a date with and even more on the musical. :P I hadn't seen or heard much of the musical before seeing it in the Orpheum, a prominent theater in downtown Minneapolis. I was definitely swept away by the music, including the way they had the gun fire of the revolution trigger all around the theater so it felt like we were in the fray. I saw Les Mis a second time in Omaha and I am really glad that the first time I saw it, the show took place on a rotating stage, since the Omaha production didn't have it and it just didn't feel as fluid. It's a weird thing to put down on "paper", but it at least makes sense in my head.

2. West Side Story. Okay, I only had knew it in movie/soundtrack format for a long time, but it still counts. Anyway, the music is really what stuck with me as a kid, and this musical along with Phantom of the Opera really got me excited about theater. I've only seen it performed by a high school theater, so I would love to see a Broadway production of it some day.

3. Phantom of the Opera. There's no question - this is Matt's First Musical. I can think back to laying in bed and hearing the Phantom soundtrack blasting from my sister's room. This was definitely a common occurrence, so I started to learn a musical by heart before really knowing what a musical was. I have since inherited the original cast recording with the fancy lyric book and all. Phantom was also the first musical I saw performed by a Broadway cast (again at the Orpheum). Unlike Les Mis, I was very familiar with Phantom, but I really got to see the story come to life by seeing it live. "That's the chandelier", "that's the Phantom's lair by candlelight"... Even though I had the original cast recording, there's something to be said about a live performance when you can see a cast singing their heart out.



I'm glad I expanded the question beyond one experience, because my entries definitely varied in scope and feeling. Even still, it's been a while since I've seen/played some of these movies/games/soundtracks. Maybe I should go back for old time's sake.

None of the daily holidays seem to click... However, as one of my gaming buddies pointed out earlier today, February is Sweet Potato Month. It's been a while since I've had sweet potato fries, but I'm definitely on board with enjoying those as a holiday celebration. I've gotten weird looks before, but I often enjoy my sweet potato fries with whipped cream and cinnamon. Yum!

DFTBA

No comments:

Post a Comment