When it comes to being a writer, there's the important difference between showing something and telling something. The latter can just consist of "this sunset was cool" or "this food was good" whereas the former ignites all of the senses and really paints a picture of what happened without saying such. Of course, showing something can take more time and is really cool, but when it comes to the blog, I just want to go straight for it and say that oh my gosh, dinner was amazing!
(I was considering shoving all of that into one blog of characters, but figured that might be a *tiny bit* excessive. Anyway.)
Michelle and I had a fun day out and about, primarily focused on good food and shopping in the area. We picked some stuff for us, including some Valentine's snacks that aren't in heart shapes but shut up they still count, a new game for us to play specifically when I'm here (since it doesn't support online co-op), and a tiny Han Solo and Princess Leia for us to each hold onto one when we're apart. As it was starting to get dark (or rather, the stores were starting to turn on their giant neon signs), we looked at our dinner options and decided on Genji Japanese Steakhouse. We went to a habachi grill in Green Bay once before and we were up for a similar experience (okay, I looked it up and Genji is technically a teppanyaki grill, which is almost habachi except a different source of fuel, but it's basically the same thing).
Since it was dinner on a Friday night (Valentine's weekend at that), we were worried that every restaurant would be swamped with people, but we were miraculously able to walk in and immediately be seated with a group of three other couples. There were a few other areas around us where the chef was working, but the restaurant didn't feel packed. Michelle and I were seated perfectly to watch other chefs as well as feel the heat from the giant bursts of flames.
The best part about a habachi (slash teppanyaki *sigh*) grill is the entertainment value. Michelle and I agreed that when we went to habachi grill in Green Bay, our chef was sort of subdued and did some fun things, but seemed sort of out of it. (A couple there who went to the restaurant also commented on that with us.) The chef we had tonight was on top of his game and it was a blast. There were the customary jokes/acts of the onion tower, tossing eggs into his hat & pocket, and his "egg roll" aka rolling an egg from a spatula onto the grill. The chef also found little moments, like when he was asking everyone how they wanted their steak cooked and then asking me the same thing with a smirk even though I ordered chicken.
It also helped that our dinner was accompanied with this wonderful "yum yum sauce" which was very good to the point of me wanting to know what was in it except also knowing that I would rather not know what was in it. (It was that good.) The food by itself was very delicious (I was kind of jealous of how well Michelle's filet mignon was cooked), but the yum yum sauce brought a sweetness into the mix.
At the end, it did feel like the waitress was quickly to box up everyone's food as soon as the chef left, but we then realized that a large crowd had amassed in the waiting area, and all of the other tables had filled up while we were there. That did let us see a number of starting fires as well as overhear the restaurant's way to celebrate birthdays (there were a lot more drums than other restaurants). I could have stayed a little longer to eat some food, but at the same time, I would have needed a to-go box at some point because I wouldn't have been able to finish it all then and there. (Okay, I know I'm going on about the food, but even the fried rice without the yum yum sauce was delicious and for me, the fried rice at most places is just kind of meh.)
So yeah, I hope my breath doesn't smell too much like onions. Anyway, it was an awesome day and I'm looking forward to another day here in Ohio with Michelle.
Today is World Radio Day. When Michelle's driving, she usually goes back and forth between the radio and a mix CD, so it's usually a tossup. Even though we didn't hear it on the radio now, I'm a fan of the newest Bruno Mars song (Uptown Funk) - I could definitely see it being a show choir song for my high school.
DFTBA!
Friday, February 13, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment