Hey everyone. Well, the academic year officially started today, with events that included the Mass of the Holy Spirit, an outdoor convocation and bell ringing, and a fireworks show right on the river that I viewed from my building's balcony. (The best part was that this year, the fireworks raft was perfectly in view and not obscured by trees in the slightest.)
(I'm not sure if I can describe this like how it's playing in my head, but here goes.)
I've already talked about how it feels weird to be working on a 12-month cycle, rather than having a summer break alongside the students. It's definitely makes the fact that fall classes are starting tomorrow feel surreal. So, having traditions like the bell ringing and fireworks are really nice because they are benchmark moments that clearly say "this is the beginning of the school year" in a way that a big move-in day or student staff training can't quite do. Even though my 1-year work anniversary was over a month ago, today was a big reminder that I've gone through the whole process now and it's time to do it all over again. I felt this way during the big President's faculty/staff dinner as well, but today really hammered it home.
Of course, since convocation does only happen once a year, there's the human tendency to compare how things are now to how they were a year ago. I won't go into it too much, but I gotten a much better handle on the position as well as networking around campus. As I've told others, I am excited to have another go at everything now that I have year's worth of experience, which includes some trial & error.
Well, tomorrow is calling, even though I'm staying up way later than reasonable. Speaking of tomorrow, it will be International Overdose Awareness Day & Love Litigating Lawyers Day. Umm... hoo boy. Do something to celebrate, I guess?
DFTBA
Sunday, August 30, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment