Friday, June 26, 2015

You get marriage equality! And you get marriage equality! Everyone gets marriage equality!

Hey everyone. I'll admit that I don't exactly keep up-to-date when it comes to the news of the day. However, today happened to be one of those days where something quite substantial happened and the news was very prominently discussed. The Supreme Court ruled today that same-sex marriage is a nationwide right, so all statewide bans have been constitutionally removed.

I'm definitely happy to hear the news and I know this is a big milestone for the LGBT community. I was scrolling through Facebook on my phone earlier and the entire news feed was people praising the decision. There were students I worked with in Missouri who are in the LGBT community and who were ecstatic today. Missouri was one of the states that still had a marriage ban, so part of me wonders how things were on campus there after the news hit.

I don't have much else to add. I liked that the White House was lit up like a rainbow and that so many people are able to celebrate today, whether it affects them directly or not. A lot of people had to fight the good fight and their efforts were worthwhile. Alright, bedtime for sure.

Tomorrow will be Industrial Workers of the World Day, the Great American Backyard Campout, and... would you look at that, Decide to be Married Day. Well there you go.

DFTBA

No comments:

Post a Comment