Monday, June 8, 2015

It's not called Green Bay for nothing...

Hey everyone! So, I got to go on a group tour of Lambeau Field today! Yes, even though I don't exactly follow a football team through a season, the opportunity came up and I just had to jump at it. The tour was with a group of 20 colleagues and the two hours really just flew by. We ended up going to the roof right underneath one of the massive jumbotrons that also has the giant G on the backside, a private suite, the "working media" box (so media that aren't making live broadcasts), the visiting team locker room and down to the field through the tunnel from both locker rooms. It was a really cool experience and I liked hearing about the team's history & legacy. I don't want to mess around with my phone right now, but I'll try to post some pictures soon.

When we were on the roof and the tour guide made a joke about Green Bay's "sprawling skyline", I looked out beyond the stadium and one thing really jumped out - there's a lot of greenery. I don't mean "har har everyone loves the Packers here so every building is green" because many of the buildings were hidden in a sea of trees.

I know I've shared this before, but I grew up in northern Minnesota surrounded by state parks, forests and lakes but it felt like a small town. I then went to college in Minneapolis and was right in the middle of the metro area. Then, I moved to a tiny little town that was in the farmland of northwest Missouri. When I was job searching last year, I wanted to live in a bigger area again. Over the past year, I've had those feelings of "this feels like a big city because there's stuff to do" but also "this feels nice and calm like a small town". Now, part of this is because the city that I live in is 24,000 people compared to the whole Green Bay metro area, which is around 300,000 people. (Green Bay proper is a little over a third of that.)

On the other hand, maybe the greenery is playing a part. It's weird though because I notice it on campus (including having a tree right on the river that I have watched from my apartment and office), but when I'm off campus, it doesn't come to mind as often. Maybe it feels like a nice mix of my hometown and Minneapolis in terms of the landscape. I know not having a photo doesn't help my rambling, but it was something that I think I should be mindful of when I decide to move onto another area.

Tomorrow will be Donald Duck Day.

DFTBA

No comments:

Post a Comment