Saturday, June 20, 2015

Breaking away ffrom the DOTS

Hey everyone. I constantly find myself wishing that there were more hours in the day or telling others that above all else, I'm incredibly busy. Now, I do have a lot on my plate, especially with various summer projects on the work side and grad school on the personal side. At the same time though, I'm not going from dawn to dusk.

I'm not suggesting that I want to be working on something anytime I'm awake, because having personal time to debrief is very important. However, there gets to be a point where I'm wasting time. It can happen a few different ways - most commonly YouTube and online puzzles/games - but I look over my day and think "Wow, I didn't do much".

One of the "techniques of the week" I've had in my helping grad class looks at things that get in the way of our goals and living based on our values. The technique uses the acronym DOTS (distractions, opting out, thinking, & substances/self-harm/other strategies) to symbolize what we do to get in our way. Now that I've learned about the technique, I realize I distract myself a lot before working on an assignment or project around the apartment. I even recognize the fact while watching a video yet find myself sticking around until the end.

I do want to address this behavior because it can eat up time during an otherwise productive day. Even if I don't want to work on grad school or work projects, there's still plenty to do over here. How, exactly, will I break away from the DOTS? Well, I don't quite know just yet. It's definitely good that I recognize DOTS and even say "I'm distracting myself from finishing this reading" during the fact. So of course, the next thing is ending the distraction once I realize it and jump back into productivity.

With that said, I need to sleep. Here's hoping I can really be mindful of the time I let slip by unnecessarily. (Maybe today being World Productivity Day lit a fire under me, who knows.) Tomorrow will be National Selfie Day, World Handshake Day, World Music Day, a bunch of holidays related to the summer solstice, and of course, Father's Day.

DFTBA

No comments:

Post a Comment