Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Random Tuesday: A YouTube Alphabet

Hey everyone. It's Random Tuesday again, and I want to try something that's a little different. So, Bing has this system where you get points by searching on Bing that you can then use on actual gift cards and stuff. Yeah, it's a way for them to get people to use Bing, but at the same time, there's no restrictions on what search terms give you points. There's a daily point limit, but searching for "homemade fudge recipe" gives you the same progress as just searching the letter a.

So there are many days where I will just search letters of the alphabet in order to get my daily points. It's a pretty quick process and along the way, I see a lot of progressively weirder links. By the time I get to "abcdefghijklmnopq" most of the links and videos are about the alphabet song, but some others are just weird.

ANYWAY! I wanted to try a Random Tuesday using YouTube instead of Google. Thinking about my Bing experience, I want to make a search on YouTube by starting with a and adding one letter at a time and finding the random videos on just the first page. With that roundabout intro done, let's do it!


What's the random stuff that pops up on YouTube by searching...

A: There's a wide variety of videos that simply have 'a' in the title, as to be expected. This includes some more popular videos like the silverback gorilla attacking the glass barrier at a zoo and pouring molten aluminum into an anthill to see what the colony looks like. However, this also includes unsung hits like a video game playthrough with the promise of driving a giant pizza and a toddler finding a snake.


AB: Ab workouts galore!

ABC: All of the videos were the alphabet song except two: a normal ABC Family ad, and one titled "'Family' Show About Transvestite now on SATANIC DISNEY'S ABC 'FAMILY' CHANNEL !!!"... Apparently this TV show is destroying the traditional family model. *sigh* Here, I was hoping for a music video by the Jackson 5.

ABCD: There's a dance film titled Anybody Can Dance that's in Telugu that also has a sequel so if you want a variety of dance styles, there's a good place to start.

ABCDE: There's an ABCDE approach in the medical world to assess and treat patients, so there's some practice with that.

ABCDEF: I know it's still the alphabet song, but I have to point out the Sesame Street clip of Kermit and a girl singing the alphabet... and Cookie Monster. Childhood innocence in play right there.

ABCDEFG: I like that at least one of these videos talks about piano keys. Also, gummy bears are somehow related to the alphabet... Don't ask.

ABCDEFGH: A "short movie" where ABCDEFGH stands for "A boy can do everything for girl's heart"... where the video is only 39 seconds long without anyone saying anything.

ABCDEFGHI: A clip from a Spanish version of Sesame Street where Big Bird is mostly green with a red & pink head, similar to a parrot. Rest assured, the alphabet is involved. (Think of the song where Big Bird thinks the alphabet is one giant word.)

...J: A young girl is dancing with CGI reindeer and a dance mix of Jingle Bells. As to be expected, YouTube is getting weird.

...K: It's classified as music, but it's just a guy talking and the visual is different pictures that say "blog". I don't understand the language, so the meaning will remain a mystery.

...L: Two kids are acting out a murder mystery and there's a giant stuffed banana involved.

...M: A blocky CGI hand goes through the motions of spelling out A through M in American Sign Language.

...N: A couple Grand Theft Auto videos including one where a car is glitched into a hill.

...O: Did you know there's a channel named ABCDEFGHIJKLMNO PQRSTUVWXYZ? Did you know that channel's cover art has a weird mashup of a bunch of SpongeBob characters? Well, you do now!

...P: A guy films himself doing some weight lifting. Part of me wants to not go through the whole alphabet, but the show must go on.

...Q: A photo slideshow of one guy at a summer camp doing things like soccer and water skiing. Oh and there's a sequel!

...R: Well... there's a video that's Gangnam Style, in a picture frame photoshop effect... and the only comment is that the alphabet was supposed to be the lyrics for some...thing. Moving on!

...S: A handful of middle students and a teacher act out a city council meeting of sorts.

...T: Well, there's an ad for a mopping agent that's being used by a goat-woman hybrid. The title indicates there's a bash machine involved, but nothing really jumped out at me. Fortunately.

...U: Well, I found the whole "quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog" video that's I've seen as a .gif and the description just says "get it?" Yes, poster of the video. Yes, I do.

...V: Some kids making baskets in a basketball court from a pretty good distance away. Nothing groundbreaking, but every spectacle athlete starts somewhere, right?

...W: Ah yes. The video that started this whole idea. It's a German game show where two woman are yelling a lot and I think one is trying to get the other to guess "margarine". Lots of yelling.

...X: A few different WrestleMania videos including the "All Grown Up" theme. I have no idea why this video would show up here.

...Y: An animated video that looked like Family Guy at first, but had floating/gliding characters, computerized voices, and... 533 views? I don't know what to think about that.

...Z: Two people (an adult and a young child) draw each letter of the alphabet. Surprisingly interesting since it made me think about how kids learn language and how to distinguish a letter from the unnecessary flourishes. Interesting...


Well, that was an adventure, but I'll mull over it and report back tomorrow. Now for sleep. Good night!

Tomorrow will be Eat Your Vegetables Day and Stewarts Root Beer Day. Maybe if you mix the two, the veggies won't be as bitter?

DFTBA

No comments:

Post a Comment