Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Word Association Tuesday

I'm certainly glad I'm not working any summer jobs while taking these two courses. Yes, I will be volunteering at VBS next week, but I'll be helping a classroom and can spend my evenings with my textbooks and research. I know that since one of my classes is completely online and one class meets once a week, 95% of the work will be done on my own time, but more importantly, from my own effort. I did take care of most of the orientation activities for Intro to Special Ed today, although I have to hear back from people in town about volunteer opportunities. (The class requires 15 hours of volunteering with individuals with disabilities. There are a few options but time is definitely of the essence.) Truth be told, I didn't do much with the Issues in Education class today, but my big assignment in that class is a 6-ish-page paper due Friday night. The toughest part (at least from what I can think of right now) will be the research because I want to find issues with notable research on both sides.

Outside of time in "class mode", I got a few errands done, including returning the VCR from Friday's holiday. I know that I'll be in the apartment for a lot of tomorrow, so I plan to have time set aside for school and personally productive things.

Tonight, I was in a Nerdfighter hangout for a bit and the conversations went many places - Sony vs. Microsoft, Hogwarts sorting hat quizzes (I was a Hufflepuff without question), voice acting, etc. Truth be told, I have been self-conscious about the Facebook group I'm a part of because I don't want to feel like I'm rocking the boat or saying things to put people off. Fortunately, after tonight, many of those fears have been put at ease.

TC

Today was corn-on-the-cob day. You could say that I fourth-celebrated this holiday because I had corn as part of dinner, but there was a lack of cob. I wasn't sure of where to go in town that would have corn-on-the-cob ready-to-eat, since I'm certainly not dealing with entire ears of corn. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

TC

So, it is a Tuesday, so it is time to add some type of quirk. Hmm... okay. I know that sometimes there are little things that I don't blog about and get lost to the universe. So, I'm going to use a word association list and have each leap be about something that happened to me recently:



Head- A Nerdfighter tonight commented on my hair and its wavyiness. I commented that it only gets more prominent the longer it gets.
Green- Sadly, Hazel (my basil plant) is starting to recede. I probably should have harvested a couple of weeks ago, but part of the reason I got it was to have some green in my room and something to take care of. Fortunately, there are a couple of new sprouts, which is always comforting.
Water- I definitely need to drink more water again... and exercise... and cook more for myself. All the healthy things.
Sing- I was thinking about the Nerdfighter musical and started to plunk out some notes for one of the songs. I only have a line or two and the melody seems very simplistic, but at least it's something right?
Death- A different Nerdfighter was at a funeral today for a family friend. Definitely sounds like a sucky situation. 
Long- Hmm... well, going off of true word association, it's been a long time since I've written letters and been in contact with various people. I should drop them a line as a study break tomorrow.
Ship- My recent game to play is Fallen London, which is in a steampunk apocalyptic London-esque setting (including ship yards, hence the association). The game is good to play for a few minutes and then go back to what you were doing before, so I'd say give it a look if you want a new adventure like that.
Count- I do still need to meet with my math adviser about if some of my undergrad experience can count for the grad-level math courses. We'll just have to see what *heh* counts!
Window- In my nervousness before class yesterday, I was procrastin-cleaning my bathroom. It made for a lot of used wipes and when I went to brush my teeth this morning, the mirrors looked covered in streaks. Ooops.
Friendly- I've had people ask me what it's like to work/live at Northwest and one thing that always comes up is the friendly staff. I ended up talking to a few different people at the library today (including an office that couldn't really help me), and everyone was kind and patient with me. It definitely makes for a positive living/working environment.
Table- I mean, when I see the word 'table', I think of the card table in my bedroom with random stuff on it. There's nothing to really report... so let's move on.
Question- Every education major has to purchase a membership with a service called TK20. It basically consolidates what you do in your schooling to verify that yes, you are eligible for teacher certification. To be honest, I'm still having questions about it, including what parts of Intro to Special Ed will need to be put on TK20 versus the class website. At least it's not an issue I need to have 100% sorted out in the next 24 hours.
Village- I used to volunteer at Village Care, which is a nursing home in town. It actually started as part of an early grad class. Unfortunately, I don't think I can use it for my volunteer hours with Intro to Special Ed. It would be nice to have some volunteer activity going during the year, so I'm not just stuck in my building.
Cold- With it being summer, I've had the A/Cs in my apartment going, but I realized this evening that my apartment is notably colder. It's been nice weather, so why use the electricity, especially since the heaters are off and all the windows in the building are open (as part of the cleaning process).
Stem- Instead of a flower stem, I first thought of STEM (an acronym for "science, technology, engineering, and mathematics). As I told a Nerdfighter earlier today, I am a testament to working in a field outside your degree after college (since mine is STEM-focused and this is an education-based job). I'm not sure of the next step in life completely, so we'll have to see how things *heh* stem from here.
Dance- With the Tony Awards happening last Sunday, I've been listening to a variety of musical performances on YouTube. The one that's stuck with me the most today is from Matilda: The Musical and I've noticed that I've had a bounce in my step because of it. 
Sea- I'm going to use the transition of "water" to comment that it was raining off and on today.
Sick- (Sea and then sick? Really?) Fortunately, I haven't felt sick in a while. As previously mentioned though, I need to get back into the exercise habit.
Proud- As I've written about in the past, I'm proud of what I've accomplished in Missouri over the past four years. So, I feel like I'll be using some of those feelings to keep me motivated in these summer courses.
Cook- Yes, I definitely need to get back to cooking my own food. Thanks for the reminder.
Ink- Well, I got a tattoo yesterday! Just kidding, I can't think of anything exciting about ink. I'm thankful to be in an age where I take having a personal printer for granted?
Evil- Growing up, I had the inclination that people were good or evil. As some of today's conversations affirm, there are many things that you can't pin to a binary choice: good & evil, male & female, and even parts of my Hogwarts quiz. There's a lot of gray in the world and I'm going to end this sentence before I bring up "50 Shades of Gray". Dang it.
Needle- So needle went to sewing went to dress clothes went to the spy photography project. I haven't made any new photos, but I'm hoping to tomorrow night. I'll keep you posted.
Swim- (Goodness, why are there so many water-based words in this list?) Yeah... not much to say about swimming in recent happenings.
Trip- Even with the amount of work in my classes, I still want to travel to Clarinda for part of the Glenn Miller Festival and Omaha for their one-day gaming convention. The big obstacle will be making sure none of my volunteer hours fall during those times. If I can make the trips work, I want to do them still because I want this summer to include fun out-of-town experiences in addition to what I do on campus and in town. 

Well, I'll wrap this up now. Have a great night. DFTBA

No comments:

Post a Comment