Monday, June 3, 2013

Rebuild Your Life Month... I like it.

It's starting to sink in that the students moved out and won't be back for a couple of months. Fortunately, the feeling is manifesting as "hey, it's summer!" rather than feeling mopey or forlorn. Having the custodial staff start to clean rooms really nails home the fact that we're in summer mode now. The first thing the custodians do is open up all the doors and windows, so walking down my hall today definitely felt like a wind tunnel.

Yesterday didn't really present any good holidays. No joke, Sunday was "Yell 'Fudge' at the Cobras in North America Day". I was tempted to try to find a snake to yell at on campus, but the snake needs to enjoy summer break as well, right?

I was looking through the monthly holidays and one stuck out for me - Rebuild Your Life Month. Now, my life is not in shambles, but I feel like I can really take June to improve some things in my life. I would consider today to have been a decently productive day. I didn't help my co-worker out with moving stuff (I'm going to chalk that up to a communication hiccup or she didn't need the extra car space), but I had a chiropractic appointment, checked in on my insurance policies, did some laundry, put some items together for the church's summer rummage sale, and talked to the graduate office about getting back into my Master's program. I didn't take any classes this year because I wanted to focus on work again (particularly having fewer co-workers than previous years), but now I've gathered drive to continue my studies. It's also partly driven by the fact that I'm thinking about how many years I will realistically stay in this position/town and I would want to leave this job with a completed graduate degree. I've always had good experiences from the people at the grad office. It turns out that I will have a new adviser on the education side of things, but it will actually be an instructor that I took a class from my first semester of grad work and that I really liked. Oh, and it looks like a seat opened back up on the online course I was thinking of, so I could be getting two items off my checklist in July. At this point, I'm just waiting to hear back from my to-be advisers.

Even if I can't get all the details in place before July session starts, I'll be okay. Of course, I will push to start up classes in the fall. On the other hand, I'll probably still stick around campus for a little bit to get my apartment in order, but also for some fun adventures, like the Glenn Miller Festival and a day-long gaming meet-up in Omaha. I do feel like I could volunteer with the church's Vacation Bible School, especially since they are currently asking for assistants rather than the point-person instructors. Then again, if I get into the two courses I want in July, the only meeting time is Monday, so depending on how much time I need to do work outside of class, I could do a lot of those things already. The main difference would be when I would leave to go up to Minnesota. As I said before, I'm waiting to hear back from other people, so both plans are on the table.

Well, I feel like wrapping this up. There are some fun activities planned for my co-workers and I, so I should make the morning productive (including making some chip dip to share). Have a great Tuesday and DFTBA.

No comments:

Post a Comment