Saturday, June 8, 2013

Orientation & Conversations

Hey there. Today was the final orientation for next year's incoming students. Sixteen families were able to attend and based on the family sessions I facilitated, I have a good feeling about next year. After all the orientations events and building tour were over, the two co-workers who are coming back next year and I just sat around and talked for two hours. It started by talking about the family sessions we ran and eventually diverged into RC stories, looking back on previous years, and our plans for the future. It was a nice conversation to have with just the three of us, particularly since we will be taking much more of the spotlight next year when it comes to special projects and getting the new staff trained.

When we realized that it was already 5:30pm (and one of us wasn't able to get lunch in time), we got in my car and went to Carson's for a spontaneous dinner together. It was a nice unexpected trip. After dinner, we came back here and I just hung out in the apartment. Some TF2, some Google Hangout with my Nerdfighter group. I learned that I'm definitely not the only person in the Facebook group who misses theater. I had the idea that we should make a musical about our group and people definitely jumped on the thought. Oh the Internet, how you allow for random people to collaborate on spontaneous ideas.

TC

One of today's holidays was Upsy Daisy Day, which is basically devoted to keeping a positive outlook and taking charge of the day. I made sure to keep a beat in my step during the orientation this morning/afternoon, but I took note to continue this feeling later in the day. There were some stories we told that weren't so... positive, but part of it is recognizing that those stories are in the past and it helps me realize things that I can be thankful for here and now. Friday and Saturday were both holidays devoted to donuts and banana splits, so I'm kind of sad I didn't get to include those in my treats, but hey, there's no rule against belated holiday celebrations!

TC

Classes start Monday and I'm a little nervous. One class is Intro to Special Education, which is being offered as an online course, so as long as I do my work in a timely fashion, I'm not worried. The other class is Issues in Education. It only meets on Monday nights and since the June term is four weeks, that means we meet four times period. For five hours at a time. I'm kind of nervous because the title seems so ominous and I am worried that the grade will rest on just a couple of major point opportunities. You will probably hear updates from these classes as the June term progresses. I just figured it would be good to get the names out there firsthand.

TC

Well, I stayed up a little later than intended, so it's off to bed. Have a great night and I'll see you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment