Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Beyond the Textbook

So, the entries from the past few days have been pretty focused on recapping a day, so I wanted to do something different. (In fact, I realized that I didn't do anything special on Tuesday. On the other hand, Tuesdays don't have the weight in the summer as they do during the school year. I'm okay with taking a week off in that regard.) Normally, when I have entries that aren't just focused on a list of daily events, I try to have a story to follow or a message to impart. Today doesn't feel like either of those. To be honest, it'll probably be pretty short too.

Part of my syllabus for the Intro to Special Education course I'm taking involves reading a chapter from the textbook and then engaging in some threaded discussions, a quiz, and some other activities. The chapters focus on different aspects of special education, such as current classroom practices, multiculturalism, and the parents & families. The most recent set of chapters have been about different disabilities, such as intellectual & developmental disabilities, learning disabilities, and emotional or behavioral disorders.

There were a couple moments tonight when I was reading the chapter and something would really hit home. (Those of you that have taken psychology, sociology, or counseling courses may know of these experiences.) I would read about a type of person, see some of the characteristics, and think "a few of those things sound just like me". Now, I didn't close my textbook and scream out my window "I have ADHD"... but it stuck out as I read it.

Putting all of my experiences in K-16 together, I've worked alongside several classmates who have had disabilities. I had moments where I would a passage for this class and think "oh yeah, this does remind me of her (a classmate of mine)". It just feels different when qualities are describing people who are really close to you or even you yourself.

I feel like this is a good place for a John Green quote. I personally love this quote and try to embody it in how I live:

"In general—like not just in fiction but in life—it doesn’t work out well when someone imagines someone else as a manic pixie dream girl or an Edward Cullen or anything other than a full, complex human being."

Applying this to the topics from the special education course, I have to remember that students disabilities are complex individuals with hopes, dreams, and aspirations and they should never be seen simply by a label. I guess that really comes into play when I read about something I've seen first-hand.

Anyway, that was my random thought for the day. Hope you're doing well. DFTBA.

No comments:

Post a Comment