Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Embracing the Quiet

Well, training for the new RAs started today. They seem like a pretty good bunch with plenty of sass to go around. It does feel kind of weird though, because training for the next couple days will only be in the morning, since some of the new RAs have rehearsal or a J-term class in the afternoon. Plus, since we didn't have training yesterday, I had to tell myself that it was Tuesday as I walked from my building this morning.

When the group of new RAs and the Hall Directors were having dinner in the lobby of one of the res halls, an RA commented that "it's so creepy being in an empty building - it's just so quiet". There were also many days over Winter Break where one of the Winter Break RAs would comment in their Duty Reports on the buildings being weird when empty.

As an RA during my time as an undergrad student, I probably would have thought the same thing. Since I was used to my res hall housing hundreds of students, I came to expect the building to constantly have the buzz of conversations, video games, and shenanigans - even at 4am. Being on duty over Winter Break meant that I was in charge of a shell of a bustling home, which would make me on edge.

However, as I've put in more years in different Housing positions, I've come to embrace that quiet. The best part about it is that it's a change of pace from the general hubbub during the regular academic year. It is nice to have students coming back since it makes the campus that much more lively, but it's always good to have that stretch where the main entrance door isn't slamming shut from the cold every five minutes. 


I know I could continue on this random observation, but my thoughts are a little muddled and I should rest up before another day of training. Today was Rid the World of Fad Diets and Gimmicks Day. So... yeah. Drink plenty of water, eat a variety of foods, and if someone talks you about a diet that only consists of one thing, just smile and back away slowly.

DFTBA.

No comments:

Post a Comment