Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Deja Vu

So, I've been blogging for a while. Okay, there can be long stretches of time where I don't blog, but my earliest entries go back to high school and preparing for undergrad. It totals up to over 300 entries, which just seems like a lot. While I wish I could say otherwise, I would bet money on the fact that I've blogged about the same random topic more than once. It could be re-telling the same story or having the same things to add about some random component of the universe, but I'm sure there is some deja vu in there.

When I start writing about a topic that seems just a little too familiar, there's a part of me that gets really hesitant. "This is boring", "people have read this already", "there's nothing new to add", etc. Fortunately, another part of me chimes in and says I should continue. Even if you have taken the time to go and read every entry of mine (Side Note: If you have that much spare time on your hands to that, you should probably find some sort of hobby.), there's something to be said about going back to old territory but not being the same person.

Since I've been blogging since late high school, I have gone through A LOT of life events. Even if I didn't blog about everything that happened in my life, I'm a different person than I was 9 years or even 9 months ago. There are things where I know I've changed on my opinion on since high school. One item that pops to mind is my ideal place to live, since I've come to realize that I want to live in a larger metro area, rather than a little town separated from lots of people. Sure, I can be daunted by lots of people (that's definitely not changed a lot), but living in a small town for 5 years helped me figure where I want to end up in life.

When it comes to telling the same story two different times, it would be interested to see if there are any discrepancies. There are studies out there that basically say that we don't remember full memories - we instead remember the key points and fill in the details while retelling it. This even happens to flashbulb memories - those "Where were you on X?" memories whenever something immense happens, like September 11th or JFK being assassinated. One girl was asked to share she was during the Challenger explosion and her retelling shortly after the event was drastically different from her telling the "same story" a few years later. Memory is nuts.

This was just kind of random thought that popped to mind, although I am pretty confident that I haven't blogged about this topic before. (If I did, it would be very fitting to the point of Alanis Morissette calling it ironic.)

Today's holiday is Organize Your Home Day. I didn't make any leaps and bounds today specifically, but I have been working on it over the past few days, especially since I'll be having student staff back here very shortly. My, how time flies.

DFTBA

No comments:

Post a Comment