I had a reunion today. Some would call it a reunion with an old friend, others would call it a reunion with a partner in crime. I like to call it...... Bill. For those of you who don't know what that means, I'm the Hall Director on Duty and so I acquired the HDOD phone today. It rotates between Hall Directors on a weekly basis and it basically means that I'm the second line of contact when an emergency happens (with the first line being the RAs). Why is it named Bill? Well, the other Hall Directors had already named it before I started and when I asked into the reasoning, the response I receive is "I don't know. It just looks like a Bill."
Of course, since we're still on J-term, there are significantly fewer students on campus, which usually translates in fewer shenanigans. (I'm now knocking on wood.) My previous weeks on duty haven't been that significant (The knocking on wood is continuing), but based on the stories I hear from co-workers, it sounds like it's only a matter of time. What can I say? College students keep us on our toes.
The worst part about having Bill for a week is that there's always the possibility that it could ring. At any moment. I keep the phone close, but there is always the possibility of getting a call in the middle of the night or while in the bathroom. I also hold onto hope of hearing the phone when it immediately starts to ring so that I don't run the risk of missing the window. Of course when that happens, it's all about dropping everything you're doing and quickly picking up the phone.
In an odd way, it's nice to think that my job has a rotating duty phone. I feel like I'm part of the chain of command when it comes to any sort of major issues on campus at night. This is in comparison to my old position in Missouri when my guys might call me about anything big or small regardless of the hour or if I was off-duty. Over the course of a semester, I'd definitely take 1 week out of 6 with Bill here than 5 days out of 7 in Missouri.
I can feel myself drifting off into the distance, so it's definitely bedtime for me. Today's holiday is "Get to Know Your Customers" Day. Even though I don't work in retail, now is the time to start to get to know the new RAs, and any students that are doing any last lingering moves. It's always weird to think of college students as customers of the college, but in a way, it oddly fits. Additional rambling aside, have a great night!
DFTBA
Thursday, January 15, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment