Thursday, April 30, 2015

Honest Ramble about Honesty

I'm trying to think of ways to incorporate National Honesty Day into the blog, but I'm definitely running into some roadblocks. I think I got this idea from Tess, but there was a time or two where I would write down the initials of ten people and write out the things I wish I could honestly tell them, without worrying about them hating me afterwards. Since the Internet has that tendency to keep content alive and kicking, that doesn't seem like the best idea since I know some of my honest opinions would be negative towards people from my past.

The idea just popped up of how honesty interacts with spreading gossip. There's that philosophical question of "Is it ever morally right to lie?" and how someone might say that if you know confidential details about someone else, it's morally better to deny that knowledge rather than spread information around to a third party. Otherwise, you may be starting gossip, leading to worse things down the line. Then again, the idea kind of peters out after that.

There's also the concept of someone 'making an honest mistake', even though you may be well-versed in a scenario where the mistake just seems thoughtless. Example time. With move-out season upon us, I recently heard a story where a student moved a couch from his room out by the dumpster. He left to go eat and when he came back, the couch had taken away by Facilities. The student had still wanted the couch and didn't realize what would happen - which could be seen as an honest mistaken. Once again, not sure how to relate that to honesty on a larger scale.

When it comes down to it, honesty is very important and that comes through cultivating authentic relationships with others. If someone doesn't want to be in your presence, they may lie to move the conversation along or not share what they truly feel/think. I try to be honest in everything I do and I hope that others do the same, but it's always best to be at least a little cautious. Wow, this entry is kind of sad in a way... and a ramble. Sorry about that. I'd try to think of some type of pun to end on a lighter note, but that honestly seems pretty corny.

Hehhhhhhh

Tomorrow is another burst of holidays! Tuba Day, National Purebred Dog Day, Global Love Day... but there's one clear winner, far and above the rest. When it comes to May 1st, I can only be referring to... Batman Day!

DFTBA

No comments:

Post a Comment