Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Unexpected Payoff from 8 Years of Theater

As I've said before, I feel in a little bit of rut when it comes to the daily holidays. In this moment, I am celebrating No Socks Day, but I think it would nice to celebrate Donate a Day's Wages to Charity Day. (Being on salary does require some extra calculations beforehand though...) Fortunately, since I'm really doing this holiday celebration for myself, I can afford to be flexible. Case in point, I'm off tomorrow and I want to have a couple of belated holiday celebrations.

Unfortunately, I don't think I can be in personal mode 100% of tomorrow. We are having an open house for around one hundred ninth-graders and their families on Friday and I volunteered to make a slideshow for some background imagery during the morning registration. My approach was getting a bunch of students to answer the question "What is your favorite part about being here?" and putting the well-thought answers out for the prospective students to see. Some answers were a little silly, but I really hope the Dean likes where I'm going with it. Wish me luck.

TC

Throughout the day, I've been thinking about theater. One reason is that I recently discovered a YouTube channel that puts out musicals every week and they are quite entertaining.

This one is my personal favorite, especially with the vocalization:

I've also been thinking about my own experiences in theater, but I could easily write for over an hour on the topic. Between fourth grade and graduating high school, I was involved in many shows, both at the high school as well as with the professional summer stock theater. My first show was "A Christmas Carol" and I've had many happy memories from the playhouse. As I grew up, I was more involved behind the scenes/stage, but there were shows where I would still be a chorus member or backup dancer (like the Havana scene in Guys and Dolls).

So, I don't want to try to talk about everything in my theater experience, but I have a pretty random statement. I feel like being in theater made me a quiet walker. It does make sense when I put thought into the statement. When you're standing on top of a hollow stage, you don't want to be stomping around and taking away from the dialogue or music. So, I had to be mindful about how loudly I walked when I was as young as ten. The reason that this statement comes to mind is that I've had several experiences where I don't mean to sneak up on someone, but they still jump a little when they see me. (Insert Forever Alone joke.) Granted, sometimes people are listening to music or in their own zone, but I still feel like it happens to me more than normal. Maybe being over six feet tall has the expectation that people will know when I'm walking their way. Oh well.

(Side Note: I do feel like my muffled walking is a good skill because the building I live in loves to carry sound. I've had some moments where I'm on second floor and guys running on third sound like a rolling thunder above my head.)

The other "skill I feel like I learned from many years of theater that can be applied to everyday situations" is my clarity with public speaking. I wrote on public speaking a few weeks ago, but I have gotten complimented on my enunciation on multiple occasions. I personally feel like I rush speeches, but people tell me that they could hear every word. On Tuesday, we were discussing the end-of-the-year banquet, where staff members will give a reflection on the year. My supervisor wanted a few volunteers to speak and a co-worker commented that she loved my speech from last year and thought that I did quite well. I did not get picked as a speaker for this year's banquet, but I know I'll be speaking at future graduation banquets, particularly my final night as an RC with students in the building. Is it bad that I've already kind of thought about what I would say?

TC

Today felt like I had a lot to do, but not a lot to do. In the spirit of the end-of-the-year banquet, I started updating one of the big PowerPoint presentations for that banquet. The ELMS projects go from 1:30pm-5:30pm, so I enjoy spending time with the groups, but it does eat into doing personal stuff in the afternoons. Such is the life of an RC in May Session, methinks. It's all about balance, right?

Well, it's about that time. Who knows what lies ahead tomorrow. Only time will tell, I guess. Have a good one. DFTBA.

No comments:

Post a Comment