Hey there! Today was the last day of finals week, so that means that the spring semester is now officially over! There was a definite change in tone on the floor from when I did room checks on Tuesday to after I got back from Envirothon yesterday. The majority of the students were done with finals, so practically everyone was awake playing Minecraft or League of Legends and generally having fun.
About a third of all the students left for the weekend. A few students got picked up by their parents once they were done with finals, but the majority of the departures were with our monthly shuttle service. So, the building was still quite relaxed and low-key, but there were definitely fewer people. There are some students taking the SAT tomorrow, so I wish them the best of luck - it's definitely bad timing to be done with finals and still have a standardized test to prepare for.
The campus has also emptied out as well. I'm not sure when the traditional students have to be moved out, but the numbers have quickly dwindled into the remaining group of students mainly taking summer classes and/or research. Our students are still around until June 1st for a four-week May Session, and since we represent a large portion of campus, May Session is really just a blast.
TC
OH NO! I totally forgot about holidays... sad day. Two holidays that would have been simple are Tuba Day and Public Radio Day, since I worked the desk this evening. I ended up listening to Candide and Rutter's Requiem and then I spent the rest of the desk shift with some students playing Jenga and a Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers board game. Don't get me wrong, I had a great time. The holidays just didn't cross my mind once I was at the desk. Fortunately, tomorrow is already on my mind. As a nerd, I would have to mess up royally to forget about tomorrow.
TC
I'll admit that I was kind of out of it today. I don't mean 'feeling really sleepy and sluggish' out of it, but more of 'what day is it? wait, what happened to all the people?' out of it. The Envirothon competition definitely messed with my internal calendar because it's the only team that has overnight/traveling competitions during the week. It was also just feeling like the semester flew by since Spring Break and that it didn't feel like May. Oh yeah, and it snowed again today...... during the summer, I thought that the seniors has a very mild winter last year and that I hoped this winter would be more intense. Apparently someone made sure to write down that comment.
I had my bi-weekly one-on-one with my supervisor today, which was nice. There are times when I feel nervous beforehand, but it's always been a good opportunity to just talk. I do feel like I go into "word vomit" mode and today was no exception. Then again, I feel like it's an excellent opportunity to both ramble about personal and work stuff. Oh, and he's definitely a gamer during some of his free time, so some of our time is about video games. On a more serious note, I'm definitely happen that things worked out and he is my supervisor because he is quite dedicated to the position and he is willing to fight tooth and nail for my co-workers and me. (I've used the phrase "fight tooth and nail" a few times today... I wonder what makes it sound so appealing.)
Well, since the students who aren't taking the SAT have absolutely zero academic responsibilities this weekend, I hope it's fun and relaxing for all. Here's hoping at least. I'll see you tomorrow. DFTBA.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment