Tuesday, May 21, 2013

"Is Matt a"...lmost forgetting it's Tuesday? Yes!

So, after I posted yesterday's entry, I realized that I didn't touch on the holiday for the day. Since I was off yesterday, I didn't really set off to have a daily holiday and when I looked at the selection of daily holidays, I didn't really feel inspired. It was Eliza Doolittle Day and in my head, I thought "Eliza Doolittle like in Dr. Doolittle - this is great because my sister is a vet and Eliza must be the daughter of Dr. Doolittle from the stories and - ". This was the point where I looked up the name "Eliza Doolittle" and discovered I had been thwarted by a reference from My Fair Lady. Dang. The stuff I thought about yesterday and my interact at the Subway seem closest to Community Living Month, but hey, some days are more celebratory than others... but every day should be at least a little reason to celebrate.

TC

Before I move on, I just wanted to share something. So, my sister is a veterinarian, but I simplify it to just tell people "my sister is a vet". Earlier this year, siblings came up in conversation with some co-workers and when I told people that my sister was a vet, a co-worker responded with "She was in Vietnam!?" After the momentary shock and confusion, I was able to clarify to everyone's amusement. (Realistically, the only way I could see my sister in the military is as part of a medical unit.) The best part is that this confusion happened another time while talking with a student. This was one of the students that took to the daily holidays and that particular day was World Veterinarian Day. When I told the student it was World Vet Day and that my sister was a vet, he asked "what branch?" There was some confusion, but I was able to respond fairly quickly with "uh... small animals" and once again, people were entertained by the confusion. The student stated that "I was a little confused since I knew there was Veteran's Day already."

TC

See, that *points to paragraph above* is the reason why I am enjoying the daily blogging because I can share little stories like this, because they are funny to think back to. Of course, wading through these entries in a year's time may prove more daunting in this current iteration.

TC

One of today's holidays was Rapture Party Day, which oddly worked out, although it's not about the end-of-the-world rapture. It's become commonplace since winter break for a few students to come into my apartment and play video games. The fall semester was pretty much Super Smash Bros Brawl all the time. It got people into the room, sure, but it just got repetitive, especially by being a bystander. So, I created a rule after winter break that said that students had to play some other video if the day of the month was evenly divisible by 3. After factoring in off-duty days, upcoming tests, and competition trips, it helped to shake things up. The students had a few multiplayer games that they went to, like Left 4 Dead 2 and Castle Crashers, but after a while, a couple of students wanted to play through some of my one-player games.

One guy started Kingdom Hearts, which is a JRPG mixing Final Fantasy and Disney and he finished the first game a couple weeks ago and is decently far into the sequel now. Another student wanted to play Bioshock, which is a FPS with heavy influences by Ayn Rand set in the underground city of Rapture. Well, I can happily report that this student completed Bioshock this evening and we even had pizza there to celebrate his completion through Rapture. Okay, the pizza wasn't there *specifically* for that reason, but it all worked together. Kind of an odd holiday-event pairing, but I'll take it.

TC

I just realized that it's Tuesday! It's getting kind of late, so I'm going to take an idea I saw from the vlogbrothers. They did a video where they answered the questions posed by Google auto-correct. So, they typed in "Why are a", let Google fill in the rest, they answered the question, and then they changed it to "Why are b", etc. What I'll do is use the same logic, but with "Is Matt *letter*". Let's see how this goes...

"Is Matt and Kim Dating?"
- Uh, no and I'm worried now because we are starting with a question that's not grammatically correct.

"Is Matt Bomer married?"
- Again no (ignoring the last name), but at least it's grammatically sound.

"Is Matt Chandler a Calvinist?"
- Okay, I'm getting a sense that my random letter will start a last name, but let's move forward. Also, not a Calvinist.

"Is Matt Damon/Dallas/Drudge gay?"
- I lumped the top three ones together, which strengthens my sense from 'c'. Also, no. Not gay.

"Is Matt Elam related to other Elams/going pro/going to the NFL?"
- Well, I don't think I'm related to people with the last name of Elam and pro football? Ha, you're funny.

"Is Matt from Matt and Kim gay?"
- No and while I'm happy I didn't get a last name starting with f, I feel like I'm missing out on this "Matt and Kim" thing...

"Is Matt gay?"
- Uh no, answered in D. Try again.
"Is Matt Gutman married?"
- Again, no. See B this time. Next.
"Is Matt Groening an atheist?"
- It's at least something different, but no. Re-read my post from Sunday.

"Is Matt Hardy dead?"
- If you can't tell, I'm ignoring last names while answering questions, so I can say with 100% that I'm not dead yet. Matt Hardy on the other hand, I'm not sure. (I clicked on that question and got conflicting stories on if Matt Hardy a WWE wrestler was indeed dead - he's not though.)

"Is Matt Iseman married/a doctor?"
- See B and no, thank you. I'll let my sister be the one to purposefully deal with blood on a daily basis.

J only yielded gay/married/dating/related. The dating one was about this Matt and Kim pair, so now I'm getting intrigued.

"Is Matt Kemp healthy?"
- I think I'm going to say that I'm healthier than college, but not as healthy as my last two years of high school. Looking forward to making a daily schedule with time on the elliptical.

"Is Matt Lauer leaving the Today Show/still on Today/fired?"
- It would be entertaining (heh) to be a part of TV show, but since I haven't been on one to begin with, then 'no' to all of these.

"Is Matt Maher Catholic?"
- Why, yes. I'm surprised it's a question I can say yes to and have it all work. Cool.

"Is Matt Nathanson/Nordgren/Noyes married/still married?"
- ... Yeah, should have done a test run before tonight but I'm too far invested now!

"Is Matt Ogus natural?"
- Uhh. I'm not a hologram and I'm made from material all found on Earth, so... yes?

P has more questions about dating and marriage, but does include divorce. Still no though.

Q has suggestions that didn't take the "Is Matt q" form, but had four people who could be quitting various acting/TV positions. I'm not in the quitting mode right now, so... yeah. No.

"Is Matt Ryan elite?"
- Is it bad if the first thing that comes to mind is Halo?

"Is Matt Smith..." I'm going to stop right there because apparently I hit a gold mine of Doctor Who stories, most of which concern if Matt Smith is leaving after the Christmas special. Since I am not a Timelord yet, I don't feel qualified to answer these questions.

T has the usual bunch - married/related/a Christian, but did have Satanic as the fourth option. It's a curveball, but then again, not really.

"Is Matt u"
- Huh, no auto-complete suggestions. But that could be a question in text-speak, so... yes. I am *pause* me. *pause* u. Yes.

"Is Matt Anderson Volleyball?"
- I feel like you're missing some words. I am not a volleyball, but I'm pretty good at--okay, I'm just decent at volleyball when it's just for fun. *quick look away*

W wants more marriages!

"Is Matt x"
- Another mystery Google cannot solve. I can substitute "odd for trying this sort of thing out" for x and get a y-value of "yes, absolutely".

"Is Matt Yocum related to Dwight Yoakam?"
- Okay, it's another related question, but the auto-correct shows last names with notably different spellings. I'm just going to assume "no" or at least "not directly, like maybe second cousins or something"

Uh... the first two for z were "Is Matt Zarrell a man?" and "Is Matt Zarrell a woman?" Definitely seems like conflicting inquiries and to Matt Z - if you need to talk, this is a safe space.

TC

Well, that didn't go as well as I had hoped. Of course, picking a very common first name probably wasn't the best way to go in terms of a variety of questions. Maybe I'll this again with some other search "seed". Tomorrow will be a long day with an on-campus interview and the Senior Appreciation Dinner, but at least it's not boring. DFTBA.

No comments:

Post a Comment