Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Senior Appreciation Dapper Dinner

Today was my final off day before graduation, although it wasn't a full day off. We had another candidate interview on-campus today, but similar to last Wednesday, I should remain mum since discussing it at this stage would be professionally INappropriate (got called out for the typo last time). The fact that we have three on-campus interview days back-to-back (to back) this week reminds me of when I interviewed here. I didn't know it then, but I was part of a pocket of consecutive interview days and the woman who flew in a day after me was the candidate they selected, who ended up working alongside me for three years. (Apparently, the hotel mentioned to her that another person interviewing on campus had just left the morning she checked in. The hotel was talking about me and apparently my co-worker took this as a sign of competition and was a little extra nervous the following day.)

TC

The other big thing today was the Senior Appreciation Dinner, or otherwise called the SAD Banquet, but also called the SAD Dinner. (A couple of weeks ago, one of my guys "petitioned" to change the D in SAD to Dapper to eliminate the redundancy of the phrase "SAD Dinner". I liked where his head was at.) From what I can remember, this is the second-to-last time all the students will be together in the same room and it's definitely the last time they will be dressed up all together. Since the first-year students aren't required to attend events like the Graduation Banquet, the SAD Banquet is designed for the first-years to say their collective goodbyes to the second-years. The students also had a farewell gift to the two RCs who are leaving after graduation, since the students don't have this kind of opportunity to speak at the Graduation Banquet.

It ended up being a nice night. It did feel like several of the students winged their speeches, but it's always nice to have one student tell other students about the positive relationship between the first-year and second-year classes. It's also encouraging to hear the first-year students say that they will be a guide and resource to next year's new students. I didn't do presentations or speeches, but I had a snippet in the send-off video.

TC

Outside of those events, I took time to myself mostly. Even though I didn't do much after the banquet, I wanted to soak in the personal time while I still had it (at least at night). I've decided that my next spring cleaning piece will be organizing my dress clothes, since there really isn't a consistent system. I'm going to stop there before I bore you more.

TC

Today's daily holidays didn't really jump out at me. If you've made it this far, thanks for letting me put the holidays on a back burner some days. I really do want to set out and have random celebrations, but May is just a busy time. I'm using this to preface the holiday to highlight today - Carrots and Cauliflower Month (it was part of the buffet line at dinner).

TC

Oh, and to back up to lunch, I have grown to really like sweet potato fries since moving to Missouri. A couple of years ago, I went with a co-worker to a diner in town and ordered a burger with sweet potato fries. When my food was ready, the lady at the counter had my food but also gave me a small cup with whipped cream and cinnamon. She said I should try it and it hit the spot - definitely a better fit than ketchup. I said 'lunch' before because I was able to get sweet potato fries with my lunch (the staff and RC candidate went to lunch in town) and if you haven't tried them with whipped cream and cinnamon, I'd say try it out for sure.

TC

I should definitely get to bed since I'm the host for tomorrow's RC candidate. I don't have to do a lot of driving outside of lunch possibly, but I figure that I should be floating around the office for good stretches of tomorrow. Wish me luck! DFTBA

No comments:

Post a Comment