Even though it's a well-known holiday, today is Mother's Day and my mother is awesome. She is starting a journey with my grandparents today, but I was able to leave her a Mother's Day voicemail while she sat in an airport terminal. (I don't have to feel guilty about not purchasing flowers now?) After my sister moved to college, my mom and I spent a lot of time together, which included little outings but also the morning trips to school. She has definitely been there for me in times of need and is always willing to listen. Even while being two states away, we try to keep in touch via phone calls and Facebook messages. She reads this blog as well. So, yeah. Love you Mom!
In conclusion, I'm a Momma's Boy and proud of it.
TC
Since yesterday was a very long and draining day, today just felt like a recovery day. I was able to get up for church on time, but until about lunch, I probably seemed like a zombie. A couple students commented on my lack of conversation at lunch at which point I'm like "yeah, I should just jump in and hopefully wake up." Fortunately I did wake up.
I'm sure some of the students had a similar recovery day what with prom and all. On the other hand, it seemed like a very diligent Sunday, since many students were reading or preparing for a test on Monday or Tuesday (depending on the class). I do wish all of the students the best of luck on upcoming deadlines/exams, particularly if the class is a requirement for graduation.
This evening, some students wanted to play Ultimate Frisbee out on the football field, so I went and served as chaperone. I'm definitely out of shape to be on a team for an official game, but man was it fun. I wasn't able to pull off a lot of good throws with people guarding me, but I made some nice catches that I don't think people expected me to get. (In all technicality, I didn't need to make some of the catches since it would have been my team's possession anyway, but I figure 'hey, just go for it'.) I'm glad I didn't try to be all over the field because there was a moment when one of my leg muscles was starting to give me the stink-eye... feel. Anyway, it was a fun change of pace that got 15 students up and moving. Win!
TC
In yesterday's very brief post, I said that after-prom took place in the bowling alley. I'm definitely quite rusty, but bowling isn't something that I only did in high school and college... yeah, I was in a youth bowling league. YABA (Young American Bowling Alliance), to be exact. I couldn't tell you how it all started, but there were a few years where I would go to a bowling alley every Saturday and competitively bowl.
The majority of my days in the bowling league were before the electronic scoring machines, so there would be someone in each lane keeping score on a transparency that was on a projector. The way our league worked was that you got to keep a transparency when you had the top score in your lane on a certain game. So, I do have a number of transparencies in my childhood scrapbook. Now, I wouldn't say that I was a demon of the lanes, but I know that I was improving both during and between seasons. I remember going to Fargo (I think, unless it was Duluth) for a regional competition one of my final years and having a lukewarm performance.
I did have my bowling ball, as a matter of fact. It was a Christmas gift one year and my feeling of first picking it up was probably a muted version of how someone feels when they are proposed to and the ring magically fits just right. (Tangent story - I can tell you with 100% certainty that it was a Christmas gift because I almost didn't get it. My parents, sister, and I were unwrapping presents and we had "A Christmas Story" playing. As we were finishing unwrapping our presents, our movie counterparts were digging into their presents [pretty sure that wasn't planned at all] and when the dad unwrapped his bowling ball, my dad zipped out of the living room and brought me my final present of the night.
I feel like the ball is sitting somewhere in my parents' house still. Since it was a youth league, the ball is surely too small for my fingers now, but it was nice to have a bowling ball tailor-made just for me. I will admit that I act kind of picky when I do go bowling, because I want to try to find something with the right hand size, finger hole size, and relative weight. Usually, I settle for something that's a decent size and weight, but with giant finger holes. Oh, and the years of league play mean that bowling is part of my muscle memory. There's no question to which foot I start with or when to start the wind-up - it just happens.
Another bowling story tangent - I will forever associate bowling with "Home Improvement" because as a kid, I would get the advice of putting more oomph into the first ball of each frame... which I would turn into a Tim Allen impression of "More Power! Argh argh argh!".
Nowadays, I probably bowl once or twice a year with things like prom or the cultural transition program for the international students. I thought about getting some information about a bowling league for next year, but I realize that would be difficult since my weekly schedule is far from consistent. Maybe in a few years though. Who knows.
TC
Alright, I think I talked about bowling enough. Hopefully you enjoy my stories. Have a great night. I'm off tomorrow, so that should be good. DFTBA.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment