Saturday, May 4, 2013

May the Fourth Be With You OR Do Something Creative Everyday!


That's right, ladies and gentlemen. Today is - wait for it - Star Wars Day. May the Fourth be with you all. On a nerd tangent, it's interesting to see the 1977 title crawl for the first time because the "Episode IV - A New Hope" bit wasn't added until the 1978 re-release. Since today is Day 2 of the weekend with no academic restraints (yes, I'm counting Friday), it was an excellent day to watch A New Hope in the Main Lounge.

Then again, the students have been taking this weekend to play a lot of video games. I have seen a lot of Minecraft and League of Legends, to say the least. There was also a student who did a ODANS run-through of Ocarina of Time yesterday (ODANS meaning One Day And No Saving, because he didn't have a Memory Card). Fortunately, Ocarina of Time is lovingly referred to as a glitch factory, so he made it work before it even really felt like night. The cold weather hasn't been too encouraging for outdoor activity, so I can't say that I blame the students too much for being reclusive. Then again, it did give me hope when some students walked around campus this evening just because they wanted to get out of the building. Now, if only the weather would start cooperating.

On the same general subject of holidays, I was sad that Movie Magic is closed because today is also Free Comic Book Day. For those of you not familiar with Maryville, Movie Magic was basically a nerd haven in town. The majority of the store was video rental, but there were also video games, comic books, book books, and tables permanently set up for Magic: The Gathering tournaments or Warhammer 4000 campaigns. What was also awesome was that the owner really wanted to build the Maryville community, so she opened the store up for things like community meetings and a yearly rummage sale to raise money for a police K9 unit. Quite sadly, there were issues with the bank this year and the owner had to close up shop and potentially have some of her own possessions on the line too. So, that was kind of sad.

Oh, and I didn't celebrate these holidays myself, but a shoutout to my mother for National Scrap-booking Day, my sister for the Kentucky Derby, and my brother-in-law for National Homebrew Day. A few of these holidays happen on the first Saturday of May, but this year, May 4th turned out pretty awesome, holiday-wise.

TC

This is the point where I feel like I blabbed on about holidays for a while and should get to a meaty topic. Nothing that happened today really felt *pause* meaty. As I said before, the students played a lot of video games and while I felt a little more productive than that, I would feel bored blogging about updating Outlook calendars and making a monthly calendar for outside my door. I mean I already spent time doing it, it would be a waste to talk about the color codes and






...

Sorry there! I think I drifted off for a second. I've been thinking about something I saw on my friend's tumblr page. I won't re-type it all, but basically it says "if you're an artist, make something everyday! Overcome the obstacles because you'll become a better writer/musician/illustrator and you'll make something even you love. Challenge yourself, share your work, keep going!" That is a mouthful, but this friend of mine puts it very succinctly:

And yes, this is my friend's creation.
Fortunately, I feel happy with my progress in daily blogging. I've made the blogs part of my internal day and I have the evidence to say that I've carried on, even through competition trips and spotty wireless Internet. There are the days when I felt crammed with work responsibilities, but I can at least say that I published something.

My YouTube niche the past couple of days is the Lizzie Bennett Diaries, which is a modern take on Pride and Prejudice. Sorry Tess, I haven't read the book itself, but the series has been quite compelling. I think I'm experiencing some confirmation bias, but some of my posts have felt like just reporting on my day. Now, I know it would be unfair to compare my life to a universally acclaimed literary work such as the endeavors of Miss Elizabeth Bennett, but it feels like no two videos are similar and that something is always changing or developing.

Okay, it's kind of a bad example, because again, the series I'm watching is a scripted adaptation of a book and I'm living my own life. But still, this morning I was thinking about putting some time into more creative writing. Not necessarily fantasy and whimsy, but simply taking time to write about a man washing dishes or the wind brushing through a woman's hair like an old lover's hand and chilling her to the bone. As is the usual case, this is just an idea and I'm pretty sure that if this idea starts to bloom, it won't take over this blog. Remember, this blog is about chronicling my life, so unrelated works of fiction don't seem like the best fit.

So, that's where I'm sitting at right now. I look forward to being a community of creative people, where I can take more time to dabble in things like guitar, theater, and writing. Okay, I can dabble now, but I look forward to having collaboration partners again. If anyone that reads this wants to start a little creative project, just let me know so can start some groundwork.

The bed is calling, so I should answer. Heh. Alright, good night all. DFTBA.

No comments:

Post a Comment