Thursday, May 9, 2013

Finding Another Fun Read


While it isn't exceedingly late, this entry is going to be posted tomorrow because my Internet just stopped working. Since I need to make it an early night anyway, I don't want to spend time tonight figuring out the problem since it could easily be back to normal tomorrow morning. (This isn't the first time this has happened at night.)

My prediction from yesterday was right - I spent a good chunk of today on PowerPoint presentations for tomorrow's big open house. Even though the PPT's are pretty simplistic, I'd like to think that I'm getting Designer experience points with these little projects. I wanted to spice up my original project for tomorrow so I went through our yearbook club's database of photos and picked about 25 to throw into random slides. I enjoyed simply looking through old photos and I had a small wave of "it's really May with less than four weeks than graduation, huh".

Sadly, I didn't have any belated holiday celebrations today. Oh, I could have mentioned this yesterday, but I got a letter back from my grandpa Wednesday, which I thought was funny timing after mentioning it on my Tuesday blog. Today's holidays were Ascension Day, National Moscato Day, Occupational Safety and Health Professionals Day, and School Nurse Day. None of those really jump out at me, but it is National Photo Month, which fits in with the end of my previous paragraph. *Phew*

I finished reading "The Fault in Our Stars" today, which is written by John Green, half of the vlogbrothers duo/original nerdfighters. As John would put it, I definitely felt ALL THE THINGS, meaning that there were parts that made me laugh, tear up, and get frustrated. Even though it's classified as a Young Adult piece, I thought it was a good read with thoughtful characters. If nothing else, it was the first time I pulled my dictionary off the shelf in a while.

I think the next step is picking the next book to read. In that, I'm torn between another book by John Green or one of the books I have in my apartment that I still haven't gotten around to reading. John Green has a few books out, although it may facilitate another trip to St Joe to go get them. (I don't see Wal-Mart or the campus bookstore carrying his older works and I feel like I want to purchase rather than borrow.) In terms of the books I have here… well, some of them are gifts from my dad over the years that include titles like "How to Win Lotteries, Sweepstakes, and Contests in the 21st Century". Not exactly a title that screams "you need to read me right now!"… even though I feel like that's the point of the book.

(Quick tangent - I just cracked open the book about how to win the lottery to a random page and found the following: "If you have a rickety old typewriter that can't print any vowels, then ask to borrow your friend's computer". *pause* Okay? I think that's the author's take on hyperbolic humor?) 

(Another aside - the Internet icon no longer has the yellow error bubble, so I can post this before going to bed. Success!)

Well, I should get to bed since the open house makes for an early morning. Have a great Friday and DFTBA.

No comments:

Post a Comment