Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Random Tuesday: Lying, Quitting, and the Truth about Santa Claus

Hey everyone. It's Random Tuesday, so let's go with a set of random questions. Here goes!

When have you make a bargain with god?
- I can't think of a specific time when I did verbal bargaining. Not the best way to start out a question set, but we shall press on.

What in your life have you left up to chance?
- Hmm... I know this will sound bad at first, but part of my retirement benefits here. I do get a retirement plan, but I went with the "throw money at it and let the market do its thing without additional intervention" plan. So it's technically up to chance, but it's still helping me out.

When was the last you where caught in a lie?
- Again, I can't think of any good examples. I mean, I've definitely been called out on lies before, but I can't think of anything while living here in Wisconsin (and that's over a year).

When was the first time you quit a job?
- The only time I would say that I've quit a job was working at a music venue in college. It was a fun time and a good experience, but I needed to focus on my senior year, including the job hunt.

When did you realized that Santa Clause was not real?
- Avoiding the obvious answer from that spelling error that involves a Tim Allen movie, I think I was in elementary school. I don't have a big reveal memory but I think I just put it together one year, which was probably accelerated with having an older sister.

When was the last time you let a friend down?
- This question has a certain degree of uncertainty because I'm probably not going to know someone's feelings, especially if I'm not communicating with them. My answer for this question will be not connecting with some college friends at a big wedding between two college friends.

When did you realized that you were smarter than your parents?
- I don't think a blanket statement like "I'm smarter than my parents" makes sense. There are some areas where my parents are vastly more intelligent than me, and there are other areas where the opposite is true. I do remember showing my dad how to navigate DVD menus, but there are many areas where he trumps me mentally.

When was the first time you took responsibility for someone else's mistake?
- Wow, this feels vague enough that I probably won't remember the actual first time it happened. There are times as a supervisor where I've taken responsibility when a student I supervise makes a mistake that could be from miscommunication. However, I guarantee there are earlier stories that I just can't think of now.

Have you ever cried to get something you wanted?
- Again, vague enough to where I will say yes because that seems like something everyone does when they are a kid.

Why did you break-up with your first boyfriend/girlfriend?
- I will preface this by saying it was in sixth grade, but we didn't break up as much as not do date-type things for a while and then a few months passed and she was seeing someone else. So... inactivity?

Who would you run into a burning building to save?
- Family, Michelle, some close friends of mine.

When was the first time you finished something really big?
- There was a point as a kid when I suddenly got scared of swimming, so to me, completing my first swimming class felt like an accomplishment.

When was the last time you left a bad situation?
- Yeah, probably can't talk about any of the examples that come to mind. Fortunately, I'm a bystander in those examples, so I am able to walk away and not have it instantly follow me.

What can you do to change the world?
- Make a difference for one other person and hopefully inspire more of the same.

When was the last time you finished something really big?
- Well, each grad class is a decent hurdle, so finishing the big project as part of my Leadership in Higher Education class.

When in your life did you say "no" even though you really wanted to say "yes"?
- Oh easy example. There were several fun things this past weekend that I really wanted to do, but had to decline because of the RA conference and grad school.

When was the first time you realized you are good at your job?
- It wasn't the first time, but over the summer, I had the head of Housekeeping speak highly of me to my boss about my work as the summer hall director. This felt especially nice because the work she was complimenting me on was very easy to manage in how I approached it.

Who was the first person who you cared more about their well being than your own?
- Easy, my mom.

What is the worst trip you have ever been on?
- I really enjoyed the space museum, but my trip to Huntsville, Alabama included a huge amount of driving (looking at the time we were there), getting lost by myself and without a GPS, and staying at a very sketchy La Quinta.

What was the first book that made you cry?
- It was probably "Shiloh" by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor that was a bedtime story growing up. *Wikipedia "research"* Geez, that book covered some deep topics AND they just realized a new book in the series two months ago. Who knew!?

When was the first time you saw the ocean?
- The first time I saw it in person was junior year of high school as part of a music department trip. I had been to Disney World when I was in elementary school, but we only stayed in Orlando that time.

What is a small luxury that you treat yourself to?
- I mean, there are times where I'll buy a new video game on Steam. In the grand scheme of things, that's a luxury.

What part of your daily routine can you not function without?
- Sleeping and eating are pretty obvious, so let's pick something else. I know it's sappy, but I don't know how I would do if I had a day where I wouldn't talk to Michelle.

What piece of technology do you not own but would like to?
- An Xbox One system. I certainly don't need it, but I could see myself getting it in a few years. 


Alright. Once again, another good set of questions. Now to wrap up and hopefully get sleep soon. Tomorrow will be National Apple Cider Day and in my honor of my aunt, Mickey Mouse Day.

DFTBA

No comments:

Post a Comment