Saturday, March 30, 2013

Fleeting Flying Uh... Fl-thoughts

Since the only thing I cared about doing today was getting from South Bend to Kansas City in one piece (which was able to happen), today's blog will be random stuff I thought of while flying today. I flew from South Bend to Atlanta and then to Kansas City, so I had a little time to think.

- Whenever I fly somewhere, I think of the scene at the beginning of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy where Ford tells Arthur to eat peanuts because "you'll need the salt". I attribute that to at least part of the reason why I eat fast food in airports, including fries and chips.

- Is it just me or does Jimmy John's not do airports? I feel like they would be a good fit and one of their TV ads includes a Jimmy John's person coming onto a plane. Maybe that last part shouldn't be recreated in real life, but I've yet to see a Jimmy John's in any airport I've been in.

- I appreciate when my journey starts off in a smaller airport. That way, I don't feel like a swell of people are waiting behind me in security and to get into the first plane. Then, I can fly into Minneapolis, or New York, or Atlanta and enjoy the large airport without the incredibly long lines at security.

- Outside of going to the bathroom, do people actually walk about the cabin when the crew turns off the seatbelt light? Maybe it happens more often on longer flights, but with the short flights I'm on, walking around just seems like it would get in someone's way.

- Since I was bringing my new sports coat home with me, I dressed up with the same clothes I wore to the Minneapolis wedding. I kind of enjoyed walking around looking professional - definitely a different experience. Plus, when it came to security, I had fewer pockets to check and my shoes were easy to slip on and off (even though they have busted through now).

- I am a FIRST Robotics nerd. As evidence of this, during one of my flights, I thought "I wonder how difficult it would be to get one of those refreshment carts, because it would make a great rolling toolbox." I then went into my phone and brainstormed some pros and cons to that idea. Yeah, obsessed/nerd.

- Even though I was in South Bend for four days, part of my mind stuck behind in Central time... along with my watch, and oddly enough, my laptop. It was only an hour off, but I could feel a little bit of a shift. Then again, Spring Break, so whoo and all that business.

- Okay, so I know airplanes are space-efficient because it takes more fuel to lug larger airplanes, but GOOD GRIEF the bathrooms are tiny! It didn't help that I had to duck as I was walking down the aisle so I wouldn't hit the sign on the ceiling. (This was the South Bend - Atlanta flight which was a 2x2 airplane.) Then of course, the ceiling is circular, so the bathroom felt like a closet space. I'm not built for tiny airplanes.

- I didn't have a SkyMall catalog in my seat pocket on either flight today. Yet, I definitely saw both my neighbors have one flying out of Atlanta. Weird.

- Since I don't check any bags, I have to carry it all, which means that I'm carrying around my backpack, duffel bag, and coat, while most people only have a purse. It can feel weird at times and be a slight hassle to get it into overhead compartments of small planes, but at least I didn't have to pay extra for it.


The building opens back up tomorrow and basically all of the students return in the afternoon/evening (we had a few international students who flew in today). I'm chaperoning one of the buses, so tomorrow will be a long day on the road. Hopefully I'll bring things for me to work on.

Good night! Happy Easter, if you celebrate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment