I'm currently sitting in bed ready to pass out, so I'll try to keep this short. Similar to Thursday, it was a long day. We had 7 of our 10 qualification matches today and unfortunately, we couldn't compete in our second match due to issues with the bumpers. It's kind of odd that it was the second match, but that was since we were blue alliance for our first match and then red alliance for our second and third matches. I'm pretty sure that during my first year of Robotics, the team missed the first match in order to get through inspection. So, it's wasn't a completely new experience, but it was still a bummer.
Throughout the day, I did like seeing that the students were continuing to think about new ideas to improve the robot, rather than being complacent with what we have. I think some of these ideas come from the sheer fact that everyone is here for Robotics with all of the Robotics equipment, so there aren't the distractions of video games, watching movies, etc.
This was the first year that we completed nominations for many awards, including the Engineering Award and the Chairman's Award. The Chairman's Award did include a separate interview and making a display board, which oddly became a nice change of pace from the crunch of the pit. I do wonder if the team's expansions this year are too many responsibilities for future years, but since every year is different, we'll just have to see next year's team in action. The student president also submitted a nomination for the Woodie Flowers Award, which was designed to a highlight a team's mentor. Our team and I did not receive any awards today and given our experience with the actual robot, I am okay with that. (I also wasn't anticipating winning any awards since we've only won one award once back in 2009.)
I mentioned before that the team has been expanding this year. Based on the feedback we've been getting from other teams, we apparently can have some impressive side projects (motorized cart, a quick-access toolbox I dubbed the "hot key box", random holiday fliers, etc). Plus, I like how the team has changed in terms of the leadership structure and I'm looking forward to exploring more in the realm of fundraising/mentors/sponsors.
Well, I should definitely get some rest. Tomorrow is the final day of competition with plenty going on: the last bunch of qualification matches (including our final 3 matches), finals elimination bracket, packing everything up, and having some spectators from the school see us in action.
You'll probably hear about Robotics stuff tomorrow once I'm back to campus safe and sound. See you tomorrow!
*Reminder: Here are the matches we will be in tomorrow
Saturday morning - Rds 74, 81, and 89
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment