So, it's apparently getting to that point where my mind is internalizing blogging as a daily habit. The big test will be when I'm away for Spring Break traveling though. Also, if I ever think to try out NaNoWriMo, I have to be blogging earlier in the day. With NaNoWriMo, you have to write 1.3k words per day (if I remember correctly) to stay on track and there are some days when I'm ready to pass out after publishing a post.
Alright, bad movies. As much as we would love to say that every movie we see is a masterpiece, there are some truly terrible ones out there. If every movie was an inspiration to mankind while helping us question our very meaning in the universe, then nothing would really stand out, so it's probably for the best. A bad movie can have a variety of symptoms (too much hype, poor CGI, swiss cheese script, etc.) and sometimes a movie will be bad on the level of self-parody.
I know it may be unnecessary division, but I feel like bad movies can be broken up further based on how you watch them. The first sub-category is movies where it just feels bad. In high school, a few buddies and I would rent movies from Blockbuster on a fairly regular basis and would have sleepovers or weekend hangouts, at least. One movie that sticks out is "The Covenant" because it was bad. The general concept is that descendents of families from the Salem witch trials live in the modern day with sorcerer powers and a regular girl gets in with the group of good guys. There are some bad sorcerers or one of them turns evil, but there is obviously conflict. While watching the movie, I was having trouble figuring out what was going on because everyone looked the same. All the sorcerer boys had the same build, emotions, and personality that they all just blended together. This made the specifics of the story just seem like a code that lost its decode key in the mail a couple weeks ago. At the end, I just felt "bleh" and wanted to do something else.
The other sub-category of bad movies is those movies that are so bad that they are good. The first time you watch them, you may wonder why the heck you are doing it, but then it gets funnier each time you show people. Coupling that with watching other peoples' first-time reactions can make it quite an enjoyable occasion. In college, my example could have been the "Demented Cartoon Movie" on albinoblacksheep. It is a long flash video that is quite random with stick figures blowing up the world many times, on top of other things. However, there is a much better example nowadays: Foodfight!
Foodfight! (yes, with an exclamation point) was released in 2012 although it's been worked on and shelved since the late 90's. It's a CGI movie that looks like the 90's (and I'm not talking Pixar debut quality either) that's basically Toy Story mixed with food/drink brand icons. Every night, the grocery store erupts into this city that includes Charlie the Tuna, the Hawaiian Punch kid, and Mr. Clean. The movie had a $68 million budget and it's just terrible! I won't go into a full synopsis, but for being targeted at young kids, it is laden with sexual innuendo and obvious WWII references. The voice actor roster includes Charlie Sheen & Miley Cyrus (as a romantic couple while Miley was 14), Wayne Brady and Christopher Lloyd.
I discovered the movie while doing room checks a couple months ago and seeing some students watch it on YouTube. I ended up seeing one of the best scenes in the movie (again, because of how ridiculous it was) and decided to track it down myself. When I found the movie, it was broken into 8 parts including user-added annotations. I wanted to see the movie on its own, but by the end, I had to turn them on to help get through the last bit.
Since seeing the movie, the students that were watching it before were adamant about showing the movie to the wing. We ended up watching it tonight with a group of 10 or so students in my apartment and it was an absolute blast. Since I had seen everything before, I could watch other people go "WTF" and laugh at all the lewd stuff that was said. It was also entertaining to just yell "68 million dollars" when there would be incredibly horrible liquid physics or the character that looks possessed while it walks down the street.
Would I pay money to watch Foodfight! ever? HA! No. Will I bring it up to some friends in a couple months to see their reaction. Maybe, if it's still on YouTube at that point. Just be warned, if you do want to watch it, bring a group that's not afraid to yell at the TV.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment