Thursday, April 11, 2013

Biting the Bullet

As much as we'd like to think otherwise, no job is perfect and there are things in every occupation that we don't like doing. Whether it's unruly clients, logistical nightmares, or administrative red tape, there's always something. There's one part of the job I have to do a couple times a semester that would be in this umbrella, although it would be closer to the "administrative hoo-hah" label. I think that since it's on the administrative side, it feels more behind the scenes, rather than on the front line. This makes it feel like there are more effective things I can do when students are in my apartment face-to-face. Ultimately, my reasoning is meaningless because it's an important part of the job and I know why it's important. It's just getting myself to sit down and do it that seems to prove taxing.

In a recent conversation with a co-worker, she said that "there are plenty of little things to keep you busy here", thinking about the easy tasks I do on a day-to-day basis - spontaneous trips, planning with clubs/organizations, managing online duty calendars. "Even still," she added "you have to sit down and take care of the most important things." So that's what I did today. I sat in front of my laptop without any music or other tasks to think about and did my administrative work.

"Biting the Bullet". It seems like an odd phrase. I guess I think about a cowboy who is chomping down on a bullet to give him something to do while a doctor tries to pull another bullet out of his stomach. Let me consult the Internet...

Here, have some interlude music.

Okay, I didn't plan that, but apparently I was right on my imagery. Even if it's not for a job, there are definitely things we have to bite the bullet practically in order to do it... exercise, apologizing to someone, household chores. In the end, though, you can often feel good about following through with your actions.

Today's holiday is Barbershop Quartet Day. I tried to find my first barbershop album, but sadly, it is currently in hiding. Okay, in typing that, I think I may have had a lightbulb moment, but I won't know for sure until tomorrow. (AKA I think I may have lent it to one of the co-workers in the office.) Anyway, barbershop music. I was in a barbershop choir actually. It was a choir, not a quartet, and I would say that we didn't have any odd pieces of clothing we would wear while singing... but that would be a lie. I definitely have a sleeveless plaid wool vest in my closet from the barbershop days. I was in the choir a couple of years during high school and I was definitely the youngest member by 30-40 years.

Overall, I had a really good experience. Being in the choir helped me appreciate a good balance between voice parts, so that all melodies/harmonies could be heard. It also helped me appreciate specific old-timey songs and I still have a pile of barbershop sheet music if I ever find some male friends with musical talent that want to croon some weekend. Even with that said, I had those "bite the bullet" moments. Since I was in the choir completely for my own enjoyment, I had those weeks where I thought "do I really want/need to go to practice tonight?" The nightly practices didn't interrupt anything vastly important, but it was the decision between going out and staying in for the night. (This is probably a good indication that the scale should tip on the introverted side, even if it's only a little bit.)

The funniest part is that when I would be hesitant to go, I would have fun at the practice and feel like we were getting better every time and in the end, I'd be glad that I went. Again, I bit the bullet and it turned out well. I know it's not a wild and crazy story, but it kind of fit in with my previous topic. Since I knew it was Barbershop Quartet Day, I will leave you with the song that was in my head as I drove to get dinner. (I was thinking of a different group, but you get the idea.) Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment