Friday, April 19, 2013

Another Hotel Stay in Columbia

Hey everyone! As you may have seen in my placeholder post, I haven't been able to connect my laptop to the hotel Internet and I didn't want to write a whole post on my Android. It occurred to me earlier this evening that my internal monologue becomes somewhat robotic when I'm typing out text messages on my phone. By that, I mean my sentence flow disappears and is replaced by very segmented, yet uniform speaking. It's kind of like being in "Haiku mode" while counting every syllable, but to a lesser intensity. You'll just have to trust me when I say that I'm writing this on Friday.

It was a decent drive to Columbia and while it was busy getting onto I-70 in Kansas City, I didn't have "stomp on the brakes" moments like I did with the Science Olympiad trip a couple of weeks ago. Before I left for the trip, I was mostly taking care of last-minute items about this trip (picking up the van, printing off study material for the students, etc.), and after we got to Columbia, the team and I went to TGI Friday's  for dinner and then back to the hotel to relax. What I'm trying to say is that it's a Math Team day even though the state competition is tomorrow and there's not much else that happened today.

Two of today's holidays are Day of Silence and Hanging Out Day. For those of you who are a member of or supporter of the GLBTQ community, you've probably heard of Day of Silence before. (Ironic pun?)  In case some of you may be unfamiliar, the Day of Silence is often a youth-driven holiday meant to show support for the GLBTQ community by staying silent all day. I looked at a Day of Silence website and the FAQ was definitely targeted at high school students, including stating that even if you are being silent, you should still respond to your teachers if they ask you a question in class. They did add that most teachers are understanding if you talk to them beforehand, which I thought was a nice sentiment.

Hanging Out Day seems to be just focused on relaxing and spending time with friends. When I was looking at my schedule this morning, I knew that I wouldn't be able to really celebrate either holiday. I definitely support the GLBTQ community but since I knew I would have to talk to students, co-workers, other University staff, and hotel staff, it didn't seem like I would do Day of Silence justice. As for Hanging Out Day… Well, after sitting in a van for 4 hours and knowing that tomorrow will be a long day with many students, I'm okay with having a night to myself.

In a similar approach to last Saturday, however, I can still celebrate a holiday - I'll just go bigger! By that, I'll go with a monthly holiday and the one I picked out for today is National Card and Letter Writing Month! Tada! While I was packing my overnight bag, I made sure to grab some envelopes and stamps. I was hoping that the hotel would have a decent sized notepad, but the one here is pretty tiny. I'm sure at least one of the students will have a sheet of scratch paper I can have though. I probably won't mail it until when I get back to campus, but at least I can write it out tonight. To the person or people (oh, mystery!) who get a letter from me, good luck reading my handwriting.

Since I'm writing this entry in OneNote, I'm not sure how large of an entry this will be on my blog, but I feel like this is a good point to wrap up. It's getting late and I want to follow through and write at least one letter before I go to bed. I'm looking forward to tomorrow - I have 10 students here for tomorrow's competition and they are a bright bunch, particularly when working together. I'll most likely be a proctor with the coach from Rockhurst again (that's been the trend for the past three years at least), which will give me some time to see what questions my students are up against. (Don't worry, I will be proctoring a lecture hall with two or three random schools and my own students will be in another room, so there's no possibility of cheating.) Here's hoping that they do well!

DFTBA and I'll see you for tomorrow, for real!

No comments:

Post a Comment