Wednesday, April 10, 2013

An Awesome Sister & Lucid Dreaming

I'm going to change it up and start today's entry with the holiday, which is National Sibling Day. Surprisingly, I noticed that several of my Facebook friends had shout-outs to their siblings and photos of them. (Perhaps some friends thought "I know Mother's Day and Father's Day. Is there something for my brother/sisters?") I didn't highlight any pictures on Facebook, but I feel like this is one of the better silly photos throughout the years: 

Happy National Sibling Day, Tess!


Simply put, my sister is awesome. She has her DVM but also a Masters in Public Health, so she is an incredibly intelligent person to boot. She also has been there for me many times growing up and I am thankful for all she's done for me, even if we fought growing up. 



I've had some pretty odd dreams that have stuck around in my memory bank. The earliest dream (well, nightmare) I can remember is sitting in my dad's truck and then the truck started to roll down a hill without anyone else in it. I remember jolting awake right before the truck hit a telephone pole. When I was a summer production of "Schoolhouse Rock Live Jr", I had a dream of slow dancing with one of the main characters, while another girl played banjo and we were all in this floaty cloud area. 

The dream I remember more vividly occurred either in middle school or college. It started out simply enough with me being in my house... and then a killer mailman burst in looking for me. I then discovered that I could slow down gravity and jump down to the basement and then bending my descent around so I ended up under the stairs I just jumped down. Let's just pause there for a second. Now, it's not quite flying (more of a hover/slow descent), but dangit, that just felt cool. After hiding for a little bit, I went outside where the surroundings had been turned into a WWI-style war zone with trenches. Oh, and an AT-AT. Nothing big. I dodged incoming fire for a little bit and then I died... and then a score popped up with a flashing icon. So... basically, I imagined myself, but as a video game character. Heck yes, I'll continue to try again!  Like I said, some of my dreams have been kind of weird. 

The concept of lucid dreaming has intrigued me. Simply put, lucid dreaming is when you're dreaming, but you realize you're dreaming, so you can take control of the dream how you see fit. I've found different tips and for a moment this morning, it worked. A student called me this morning because he was locked out of his room and it was too early for the office to be open. I stumbled outside (as a reminder, *points to self* not a morning person), unlocked the student's door and since my first commitment was in a few hours, I decided to go back to bed since I hadn't planned to be up yet. 

The dream I had wasn't too eventful. I was shopping with this girl who I think I was dating (but it wasn't an ex or it wasn't something that I thought "oh this is Liz*" even though it was clearly someone else) [*Liz was my first serious girlfriend in college.] She was kind of brushing me off and there was a point where she walked to her car and started to drive off. At that point, my brain went "Wait a minute. You're dreaming right now. Don't let her get away. You get her back here and tell her what's what." It was also thinking "Okaythisisweirdifyouopenyoureyesrightnowyou'llbeawakesodon'tdothat! Thealarmisprobablyabouttogooffatanypoint!!" In Magneto-fashion, I held my arm out and the car started to slide backwards to its starting spot. I was walking to the car when... my cell phone alarm went off and woke me up. 

It was a weird experience but I definitely had that feeling of both being in the dream and laying in my bed with my eyes closed. It only lasted a moment, but I have a feeling that it would have continued if my alarm hadn't gone off. I'd like to try it again at some point, but since I have a morning thing tomorrow, that will probably have to wait for the weekend. Speaking of which, it's definitely past my bedtime. Sweet dreams to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment