Thursday, April 1, 2010

Spring Break 2010: Days 3 - 7

So... let's pretend this entry wasn't a written a month after the fact... heh.

*ahem*

So, with the sole exception of Ireland, my spring break was the best vacation I've taken. I was able to see lots of people, do different/interesting things each day, and I had the perfect combination of planning and an attitude of "I want to do this... let's go!". Here's a rundown of what the second half of Spring Break held for me:

Day 3: Tidy & Tasty Tuesday
Slept in
Cleaned up around the house
Went to Village Wok with friends (it was weird going somewhere with a group that isn't at least 8-12 people... the passing of time, I guess)
Played Rock Band
Dusty came back! (she was visiting her bf and flew back in. of course, she was tired from the flight, but it was nice to have another of the house's inhabitants back)

Day 4: Wednesday's Walk to West Bank
Stayed up from 7am when people left for work (my feelings on the matter: a mix of a victory point and shaking my fist at my brain)
Walked to campus by way of Eat Street (it's a couple of miles so it was a good walk)
Stopped by Middlebrook and talked to Jennifer (one of the full-time staff members)
Wandered to East Bank, saw new Science Classroom building (shiny!)
Sat on lawn up against tree, read the student newspaper, and peoplewatched (this probably was the best epitome of my whole spring break. while students were rushing to and from class, I simply sat, watched, and enjoyed life without a schedule)
Rode the bus back to West Bank with Jazz Man (by total luck, mind you. once I sat down and heard a saxophone, I thought to myself "best campus visit ever!")
Had coffee at Mapps with Jessica B, ran into Vanessa
Had lunch at the Weinery
Visited the Cedar (Jason, Sage, Dave, etc) (a music venue that was my second job for the last 2 years)
Visited TR and Jesan (my old Hall Director and Asst Hall Director) (I had a really good conversation with these two and I will say that things felt a little different since I'm no longer a student worker, but a professional in the same field... so a good different)
Borrowed bus pass from Towey, quick dinner, said goodbye to Towey (Towey recently got a job with Boeing and moved out to Philadelphia shortly after I left. he was leaving this time to decide on and sign off on an apartment)
Caught bus to Cedar (I didn't realize it until now... but bus passes are awesome!)
Watched French guitarist @ the Cedar (this guy was pretty good. he had a nice humor in between songs and kept saying everything in English and French)
Met up with old residents from last year for late-night appetizers at Applebees
Came back to Middlebrook, saw Andy's helicopter (a tiny RC unit), hung out with residents

Day 5: Thursday's Trip
Slept in (it was a good trend to start again)
Went to Greyhound station, took bus to Eau Claire to visit MusiCamp friend (there was some confusion as to where I was dropped off... but my friend there picked me up)
Got UWEC campus tour from friend (included the infamous hill, music building, music therapy areas, and an impromptu piano/vocal performance by my friend)
Went to Buffalo Wild Wings with friend and her circle of friends
Played Tele-pictionary (a group game where you write a sentence, pass it to your right, draw a picture from that sentence, pass it to the right, write a sentence based on the picture alone, etc)
Ate Pudding cake (leftover from a bake sale which was very good), watched Internet videos
Got driven back to Greyhound "station" (seating area in and outside of a McDonald's)
Took Greyhound back to Minneapolis, walked back to house (the buses were coming once every 30 minutes or so and I ended getting back to the house about the time the bus would have gotten to downtown to pick me up)

Day 6: Final day of Friday
Slept in
Had lunch with Lauren at French Meadow (an amazing cafe that reminded me of Cafe Latte in St Paul)
Went to Como Zoo with Sara and Alex
Played some solo Rock Band, Hung around with Beth
Had people over for Galactic Pizza (a pizza joint that seeks to be environmentally friendly and kick-butt with their delivery people dressed up as superheroes in electric cars) and Settlers of Cataan (Aubree kicked butt both games)
Talked about Robotics, Solar Car (over the year, I was comparing the level of intensity of Robotics with the solar car and as expected, the solar car alum friends were definitely interested in hearing about our robotic adventures)

Day 7: Saturday Sayonara!
Packed up, Went to post office to mail myself stuff (I packed very tightly and some stuff acquired in the Cities wouldn't fit... not to mention the full tube of toothpaste which shouldn't have made it through the airport in the first place...)
Had lunch at Panera with Beth and Chris
Spent time at the airport, had the flight to KC which included a very talkative flightmate (it was entertaining to have a conversation involving several people around us)
Drove back to campus with Margaret and Ray (we had a pit stop in St Joe since Margaret was prom dress shopping... so I got Taco Johns :-P)
Unpacked
Talked with various Academy staff/friends

Like I said, an AWESOME vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment