It's been a couple of weeks since Spring Break... so, a blog entry is in order. Of course, I can't think of everything that's happened since my voyage to the Twin Cities.
April Fool's: Some of my boys organized various pranks on the floor, including a barricade of bed frame pieces against my door. I have to say that they pulled it very off very quickly and quietly. Midday, while everyone was at class, I hid the bed frame pieces in another co-worker's apartment and convinced one of the boys that custodial told me someone broke into a supply room and stole stuff, including bed frame pieces. My guy totally believed it and got a huge kick/sigh of relief when I told him it was an April Fool's joke. I ended up carrying on the joke for a part 2 the next day, which was equally entertaining because I ended up barricading a student's room with the same bed frame pieces.
Weekend Away: Last weekend, I had a college friend drive down to the area to come visit for a weekend. On the Friday evening, we hung out at Mozingo and then we saw the Air Force wind ensemble perform, which was amazing! There were some marches, a tuba soloist piece, "That 70s Medley" with a choir, and of course, the patriotic standards. As a bonus, every program included a CD. On Saturday, we visited another college friend who moved down to Kansas City to work for Cerner. He's got a sweet apartment right downtown, which we visited as well as a sweet German restaurant and bar nearby. Then, we walked to a nearby park and played some cribbage (it was a little bit of an adventure with the wind). On Sunday, we just hung out and said our goodbyes since my friend had a long drive ahead.
St Joseph Fun Day: Today, Kristina and I were both off so we decided to have a fun day in St Joe. We tried out Cheddar's which is a pretty nice restaurant. (I got the New Orleans Pasta which was spicy and really good! This led to a conversation about the lack of spice up north, but oddly enough, I've been gaining experience with spice...) Then, we went to a mini-golf course which was really cool. Kristina ended up winning by 2 strokes partly because there were a number of holes that had a special "hit it in here and a pipe will deliver it underground right into the hole" set-up. After that, we did some shopping, and got some late afternoon Cold Stone. Sitting in the sun with Cold Stone and a good co-worker friend... good times on a day off.
General Stuff: Of course, the students are stressed. There's one week of regular classes left and then finals week. Unfortunately, this has been spreading to the staff, not to mention the late wave of feeling under the weather. I am excited for May Session (I'm sure you'll hear more about that in a later post), but before then, there are those two weeks, which include the Math League Championship Meet in Columbia.
Oh, and in respect to the title... there's been a lot of ups and downs recently. Despite everything, I'm trying to keep upbeat and, well, soar!
I think I'll end this blog post with some video recommendations.
Here's a funny video: Sassy Gay Friend - Romeo & Juliet
Here's a sweet music video: Lady Gaga Telephone Cover
Here's an awesome animated video: Retro Games Destroy NYC
Sunday, April 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment