Friday, April 30, 2010

Gravel is adorable?

I've been sick for the past few days. It's not fun. On the other hand, I realize it could be a lot worse, and I'm definitely thankful I'm not bedridden or having to throw up a bunch. What I think happened was that I was getting stressed with planning the Math League competition last weekend so when it was all done, my body relaxed and got sick (since stress can mess with your body in so many different ways). The whole "running around to and from the van in the rain" could have been a factor, but I'm guessing that stress is a bigger factor.

Yesterday was definitely the day that I sounded the worst. It's been interesting to track the bugs I get because they normally start in my stomach and then go up to my throat and then into my nose (so the times that I just randomly sneeze are a good thing because my body is casting the germs out). It was also funny to have a bunch of students ask if I got sick when it's like "yeah, I've been sick for a few days now... hasn't it been obvious?" However, my throat was in pain when I talked too much, so I usually didn't add the last part.

As I was working the front desk last night, one student's reaction in particular caught me by surprise. Instead of asking if I was sick, she asked "are you sounding like that on purpose? because it's adorable". My initial thought was "I wouldn't purposely sound like this because it hurts when I talk" but all that came out was "?????". She explained that one of the anime shows she watched at one point had characters with gravely voices that were apparently adorable. This then led to a "men don't know what adorable is, men shoot adorable" and then I had to explain what the image on my computer was to other students who walked up (it was a grouse).

As I thought about it yesterday, I realized that as a kid, I never really took medicine. The only things I really used were cough drops for a cold, mint for a stomachache, calamine lotion for poison ivy, and of course, anything a doctor told me to take (although the only thing I can remember for that is when I got my wisdom teeth out). So when I got a headache or whatever, I'd just let my body fight the fight and I would help by getting lots of sleep, not doing anything crazy with my diet, and drinking plenty of water. It seems like a more natural alternative to running to the medicine cabinet every other week.

So yeah, that was my rambling about being sick. I'm definitely feeling better than yesterday but I won't be singing any operas again today (darn).

As a token for putting up through my ramble (or if you just scrolled down to the bottom of the entry), here's a link to Pomplamoose, a couple who have a bunch of music videos up on YouTube where all the vocal/instrumental tracks are done by the two people. It's pretty cool.

If you've already heard them, there's more! As I've been listening to them, I think back to The Owls, which is a group in the Cities that... well, I'll let you decide.

1 comment: